Price?

TNTreeman

The cost of taxidermy and how most mounts start looking poorly in 15-20 years old is why www.antlerdaddy.com was created. We modeled it after a great company http://classicantlermounts.com/. It was a way to engage kids in work during Covid and make some money.

Taxidermy is really a poor investment. Nobody wants when you downsize or die….especially your wife.

However, we about to shut our quality service down. Too many people boiling 30 or 50 skulls for nothing and even spray painting them. There are some low standards out there.

My $.02.

I don't see how a guy could mount deer heads for 275 …what is his TWRA license number?
Are you shutting things down?

duckriver

$550-$600 where I use. You've got to want to do it. He's a buddy of mine and I've spent time with him while he does one start to finish. For what he's got in it and the time it takes to do it right it's not real profitable on the hour

TN Larry

Taxidermist buddy of mine went to $650 this year because of increased costs in everything like @AT Hiker pointed out. He sends off to wet tan along with using quality form, materials and does an outstanding job. His is a side gig and has had to go to only accepting repeat customers the last few years and limiting to around 40 per year.

ROVERBOY

Last one I took was supposed to be $400 with cape tanned instead of dry preserve like most taxis around here do. I gave a $100 deposit and it is going on 3 years. I get some lame excuse every time I call. I am not happy about it.

You'd probably lose the $100 deposit but, I'd have went and got it awhile ago. I would just take the skull plate and antlers and put them on a plaque. And tell him what he can do with his business. I've never got one mounted ever. I've put several on plaques myself though.

Specializedjon

Mine is at Wilson Taxidermy in Franklin. $600 with half up front at drop off. I thought that was reasonable for the quality work Alex does. Knowing what the material alone costs, I'm not sure anyone can make any money (even if it is a hobby) or break even for anything less than $500. I think the lower cost taxidermist don't factor in the cost of the clay, epoxy, paint and tools that they've already got invested into the price of each mount. Like @AT Hiker hiker said, then you've got to add the cost of the space, heating/cooling, taxes, utilities to power multiple freezers and lights, etc.

Mine's been with him for over a year but I'm not in any hurry. I know he'll do a good job and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

TX300mag

I don't mount many deer, and it will be even less frequent since prices have increased, but the short answer to your question is whatever ATHiker's rate is when I need him.

I've learned some lessons over the years.

1. You get what you pay for. There is a very large range of quality. My largest buck isn't even on my wall. I'm strongly considering having him remounted, hard lesson learned.

2. I went to taxidermy school, I know what goes into one and that I would rather pay him to do it.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've seen 300-650 for the different taxidermist in my area. My guy started out 275 back 10+ years ago and has been moving up in cost over the years. 2 years ago, I paid him 400 and he was telling me the cost from McKenzie forms cost additional 50.00. My son's that I dropped off in Nov, he has gone to 425 using a local companies molds. It takes 1 year to get your mounts back. I fully expect him to be up to 500 with in a year. Unless it's special deer, I don't see myself doing another mount.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I have a minimum of $300 in materials which doesn't include my time, profit, equipment, water, utilities, license, taxes etc. Not to mention the hours, travel, shows and training I have invested in.
Shipping is unpredictable at the moment and suppliers have been hitting taxidermist with surprise increases lately. The few guys I have spoken with in my area range from $500 to $700. I will be honest, the $500 one is absolute junk. It is dry preserved with bondo ears, looks like a drunk 12 year old with carpal tunnel mounted the thing in 30 minutes. I was actually shocked when they went up on price.

$1k commercial quality whitetail shoulder mounts will be common sooner than later. Some of the bigger shops in TN are already $900, which from a business stand point is what they should be at to turn a slight profit.

As for show quality, that is subjective but your going to have a lot more hours in it. Not to mention you'll be using competition quality eyes and replacement nose (open mouth will be much, much more), those two will add an extra $100 to the piece. Most will be using expoxy for earbutts and skull cap, some altering of the form will add extra foam cost. Add in habitat, etc and its not uncommon to have 40+ hours and over $1k in materials for a show piece.

I would clean toilets at a truck stop for minimum wage before I'd mount a deer for $275.
Not to get into your finances, but if your willing to share some of the cost of materials and how many hours you have in a standard shoulder mount, would be great info?

Latest posts