Price?

AT Hiker

275.00 get them back in about 6-8 weeks
I have a minimum of $300 in materials which doesn't include my time, profit, equipment, water, utilities, license, taxes etc. Not to mention the hours, travel, shows and training I have invested in.
Shipping is unpredictable at the moment and suppliers have been hitting taxidermist with surprise increases lately. The few guys I have spoken with in my area range from $500 to $700. I will be honest, the $500 one is absolute junk. It is dry preserved with bondo ears, looks like a drunk 12 year old with carpal tunnel mounted the thing in 30 minutes. I was actually shocked when they went up on price.

$1k commercial quality whitetail shoulder mounts will be common sooner than later. Some of the bigger shops in TN are already $900, which from a business stand point is what they should be at to turn a slight profit.

As for show quality, that is subjective but your going to have a lot more hours in it. Not to mention you'll be using competition quality eyes and replacement nose (open mouth will be much, much more), those two will add an extra $100 to the piece. Most will be using expoxy for earbutts and skull cap, some altering of the form will add extra foam cost. Add in habitat, etc and its not uncommon to have 40+ hours and over $1k in materials for a show piece.

I would clean toilets at a truck stop for minimum wage before I'd mount a deer for $275.

Boone25/06

Prices are all over the place. $400 - $500 seems to be the going rate for quality tanned mounts. There will always be some cheaper and less wait times but these are usually the hobby or just getting started in the business. Some cheaper ones are quality that will last other are still developing their skills. Hit or miss. Show quality will be $600 plus and dependent on taxidermist if they are willing or even able to do that. Most important to me is the longevity of the mount. I will only do pro tanned mounts because most look the same 15 years after mounting. Less chance of bugs destroying hide, cape shrinkage , and fading. Doesn't hurt I have made good friends with my taxidermist and stop in often to see the whole process being done. Lots of time and work and a special eye for details are required.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Wow, this thread has me reminiscing all the way back 34 years ago. My 1st buck! A 28" east Tn monster 4 pt. Non typical. ( 3 on 1 side, 1 on the other). Anyway, it still looks great after all of those years. I remember thinking how will I ever come up with $180 to pay her? Ha times have changed… she still going strong and in fact I just took my Illinois buck to her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 135

TNlandowner

Last one I took was supposed to be $400 with cape tanned instead of dry preserve like most taxis around here do. I gave a $100 deposit and it is going on 3 years. I get some lame excuse every time I call. I am not happy about it.
~ 3 years - what? please share the taxidermist info... pm is fine. I would go crazy if I took a kid's deer to this place.

Antler Daddy

The cost of taxidermy and how most mounts start looking poorly in 15-20 years old is why www.antlerdaddy.com was created. We modeled it after a great company http://classicantlermounts.com/. It was a way to engage kids in work during Covid and make some money.

Taxidermy is really a poor investment. Nobody wants when you downsize or die….especially your wife.

However, we about to shut our quality service down. Too many people boiling 30 or 50 skulls for nothing and even spray painting them. There are some low standards out there.

My $.02.

I don't see how a guy could mount deer heads for 275 …what is his TWRA license number?

DoubleRidge

The cost of taxidermy and how most mounts start looking poorly in 15-20 years old is why www.antlerdaddy.com was created. We modeled it after a great company http://classicantlermounts.com/. It was a way to engage kids in work during Covid and make some money.

Taxidermy is really a poor investment. Nobody wants when you downsize or die….especially your wife.

However, we about to shut our quality service down. Too many people boiling 30 or 50 skulls for nothing and even spray painting them. There are some low standards out there.

My $.02.

I don't see how a guy could mount deer heads for 275 …what is his TWRA license number?

Poor investment? I guess it depends on what you expect your return on investment to be? I enjoy the deer heads I have mounted in my living room. Also enjoy the euro mounts as well as the ducks, geese, antelope, mule deer and other taxidermy we have in our home....good taxidermy, that last, is expensive....but for us it's been an excellent investment because we enjoy it everyday. As far as what will happen with my collection after I'm gone? I won't care....I'll be gone....but there are a few special deer that will go to a family member or friend.

Antler Daddy

Poor investment? I guess it depends on what you expect your return on investment to be? I enjoy the deer heads I have mounted in my living room. Also enjoy the euro mounts as well as the ducks, geese, antelope, mule deer and other taxidermy we have in our home....good taxidermy, that last, is expensive....but for us it's been an excellent investment because we enjoy it everyday. As far as what will happen with my collection after I'm gone? I won't care....I'll be gone....but there are a few special deer that will go to a family member or friend.
Everyone has their opinion! I know mine is not popular with many hunters.

It has been the best option for us. We chose to live in a culdesac vs the country, so there are limits for the bride. The wife can only stand so much and a full-size mount mountain lion, a 6x6 elk rack, and our best deer antlers has been the best choice for us. I no longer have the extra room as a mancave or a basement. We moved 5 states and 6 homes since married and that is also a logistics pain to take care of the taxidermy.

Now, if I had stayed single then I would have a few more for sure. I also sort of regret not mounting my son's 8 pt because it is a beautiful rack and had a great cape. But, if his wife will allow it then he can can get it done later. It makes moving much easier.

DoubleRidge

Everyone has their opinion! I know mine is not popular with many hunters.

It has been the best option for us. We chose to live in a culdesac vs the country, so there are limits for the bride. The wife can only stand so much and a full-size mount mountain lion, a 6x6 elk rack, and our best deer antlers has been the best choice for us. I no longer have the extra room as a mancave or a basement. We moved 5 states and 6 homes since married and that is also a logistics pain to take care of the taxidermy.

Now, if I had stayed single then I would have a few more for sure. I also sort of regret not mounting my son's 8 pt because it is a beautiful rack and had a great cape. But, if his wife will allow it then he can can get it done later. It makes moving much easier.

No doubt...everyone's circumstances are different...and a taxidermy collection isn't for everyone...Lord willing we are settled and don't plan on moving...but yes moving often with a large collection would be a nightmare.....and I'll admit one thing I don't like is when my wife does the spring cleaning where she deep cleans everything in the house....she hands me the extension duster, step ladder and a damp cloth... it's a job keeping it all clean.....but we enjoy reflecting on the memories.

Latest posts