Prescribed fire in hardwoods

wrdabney

The general consensus from online research seems to suggest steering away from using prescribed fire as a management tool in hardwood forests if you have any interest in future timber value (who wouldn't at least somewhat?). Just curious if any of you guys have first hand experience with burning in hardwoods and how it affected timber values down the road. I have a farm that was select cut about 3 years ago and the undergrowth is currently impassable in most areas. There is a good trail system throughout the property but if I can stagger burns in different areas throughout the years and help the habitat I am all for it. I don't have a problem with thick undergrowth but would like to control it to some extent. Anybody dealt with this?

MickThompson

The way you burn matters. Age and quality of the timber and quality of the site plays into it as well. I wouldn't burn a poplar stand in a cove but a poor sandy ridge of post oak? Why not. Young trees are more likely to be damaged than large trees and species with thin bark are more likely to be damaged than thick barked species. Those young trees won't be harvested until well after we are all dead and gone though, and the purpose of the bid is to hurt them anyways. It's impossible to make blanket recommendations without knowing your objectives and priorities for the land.

Can it be done without damaging or killing trees? Sure.
Will the presence of char on downed wood on the forest floor hurt your price some? Probably.

LanceS4803

You need to check out the videos and podcasts from MSU Deer Lab. They discuss burning quite frequently.
Going from memory, hardwood fires are not as intense and damaging as pine wood burns.

Boll Weevil

If you're shooting for a fire hot enough to knock back the currently impassable undergrowth, it'll be hot enough to potentially damage your residual stand. As well, if the fuel load it high and depending upon conditions (wind, humidity) the fire is going to create and hold a lot of heat. Might be able to get by with a "cool" fire on a winter day and not damage anything but if it were my hardwood stand, I'd be real cautious.

wrdabney

Thanks for the advice. I have listened to the prescribed fire episodes on MSU deer lab and really enjoyed them. I'm planning on meeting with my area state forester at some point to get his advice as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with it.

treefarmer

I agree with Mick Thompson's sage advice. Also, burning in hardwoods is a good idea if you are trying to create an oak savannah (lot of meadows and some oak trees), which TN had centuries ago and is very beneficial to wildlife. There is research that says It is also helpful if you had a clearcut and want to help oaks return after the cut (oaks will resprout after the fire and the other species may not). I contracted with the TN Division of Forestry and had two controlled burns in pines in 2015 and last March. I have some large white oak trees in the pines and they were not harmed - it helps if you rake burnable debris away from around the base to help prevent a long lasting fire up against the trunk. Oaks are generally fire tolerant. The Division performs controlled burns for a fee ($60 per acre?). If you have forest land I highly recommend contacting your area forester with the Division, whether you burn or not. They have a degree in forestry, will walk your property with you and give you free advice. I met with them in 1993 and an hour spent with them was the best thing I ever did - it gave me a mental plan of what I needed to do to meet my objectives. If you are in Madison County contact Jon Marden at 731-307-8199. He can also discuss the Tennessee Tree Farm program with you which is a free Tennessee, and nationwide organization. Also ask if there is a County Forestry Association in your area - the cost is probably $10 per year and they have field days and dinner meetings yearly with a chance to meet and talk with forestry professionals. I've learned there is a lot more to forestry than meets the eye and it isn't intuitive so it helps to be around some forestry professionals.

JCDEERMAN

Yep - very good info. I've got about 30 acres we select cut that should have been burned a couple of years ago and I want to get in control of those areas again. Also, hack and squirt some hardwoods and burn later creating an oak savanna. Appreciate the info

Latest posts