Prescribed burn boss training

squackattack

Seeing the post about burning, do y'all purchase insurance for your prescribed fire activities?

Essentially what do you do in case something goes wrong. How do you protect yourself. I am not asking about notifications or on site resources.

It seems with smoke and potential for escape to different property the risk might be to great.

BSK

Not only the risk of the fire getting away from you, but the impact of smoke crossing roads and blocking visibility. Lots to think about and plan for.

Some of the many reasons I don't burn on my place.

JCDEERMAN

I don't have insurance that I know of. During the training, you'll be taught on the smoke direction, atmospheric wind directions and dispersal. All that goes into the burn plan. You look at 5 miles away as the crow flies (maybe a church - being cognizant of not having a wind blowing in that direction on a Sunday morning burn). When I took the class, the guys putting on the class stated that if you have the correct plan and you follow the plan perfectly, then the burn plan itself is your insurance policy. You hold on to it for a period of time after the burn.

Specializedjon

I don't worry about smoke or the fire getting away where I live. I've had some RAGING burn piles the last few months. I keep the hose close, fire extinguisher closer and the burn pile is clear of all structures and vegetation by about 50 yds. Full disclosure, I intentionally try to smoke out one of my neighbors and he apparently does the same.

Edit: I didn't know that was an actual training class

BSK

I don't have insurance that I know of. During the training, you'll be taught on the smoke direction, atmospheric wind directions and dispersal. All that goes into the burn plan. You look at 5 miles away as the crow flies (maybe a church - being cognizant of not having a wind blowing in that direction on a Sunday morning burn). When I took the class, the guys putting on the class stated that if you have the correct plan and you follow the plan perfectly, then the burn plan itself is your insurance policy. You hold on to it for a period of time after the burn.
Go down in the Deep South where they burn pine plantations on a fairly regular basis. If smoke from your burn crosses a road and someone has an accident because of the smoke, YOU are legally liable. They HAVE to have good burn insurance down there.

Thelonegoose

If someone finds something out about burn insurance please post it here. The last time I burned the TN Dept. of Forestry conducted the burn, but the county inspector came out saying I had three complaints: 2 from drivers on the road and one from a homeowner nearby. Luckily, I was able to defuse the situation when he showed up before I got a hefty fine. Even if the TN Dept. of Forestry conducts the burn, the landowner is still held liable to my knowledge.

wildlifefarmer

I don't worry about smoke or the fire getting away where I live. I've had some RAGING burn piles the last few months. I keep the hose close, fire extinguisher closer and the burn pile is clear of all structures and vegetation by about 50 yds. Full disclosure, I intentionally try to smoke out one of my neighbors and he apparently does the same.

Edit: I didn't know that was an actual training class
You may contact Jennifer [email protected]
This bunch is south. Maybe in Fl or Ga. They do training and update your certification online and maybe now in person.

@fulldraw

Mixing height and transport winds are key to smoke dispersal. There are minimums that must be adhered to if you don't want to smoke people out. Yes, landowner is responsible for the controlled burn even if TDF is conducting it. It's also a law that you must notify your neighbors at least two days prior to burning.

MickThompson

If someone finds something out about burn insurance please post it here. The last time I burned the TN Dept. of Forestry conducted the burn, but the county inspector came out saying I had three complaints: 2 from drivers on the road and one from a homeowner nearby. Luckily, I was able to defuse the situation when he showed up before I got a hefty fine. Even if the TN Dept. of Forestry conducts the burn, the landowner is still held liable to my knowledge.
That's not exactly how it works now. TN now passed a prescribed burn law a few years ago that states if 1) your burn boss is certified (all TDF should be since they put the training on), 2) you have a burn plan, 3) it's a good plan, and 4) you follow your plan or mitigate when you deviated from it, negligence must be proven for you to be held liable. Essentially the burn boss's certification shields you from liability in case of unforeseeable events.

If your burn boss is burning on questionable weather days, they are violating this and simple liability applies, sorta like giving a 12 year old the car keys. Insurance is still a prudent choice.

MickThompson

Mixing height and transport winds are key to smoke dispersal. There are minimums that must be adhered to if you don't want to smoke people out. Yes, landowner is responsible for the controlled burn even if TDF is conducting it. It's also a law that you must notify your neighbors at least two days prior to burning.
You can overcome the transport winds to some degree by getting the burn done earlier in the day and not taking on additional acres so the smoke has time to dissipate but a low mixing height just locks the smoke on the ground.

@fulldraw

You can overcome the transport winds to some degree by getting the burn done earlier in the day and not taking on additional acres so the smoke has time to dissipate but a low mixing height just locks the smoke on the ground.
I think you're thinking of ground wind speed. Transport wind cannot be less than 7mph if mixing height is 2700' or greater. It has to be at least 9 mph if minimum mixing height is 1700'. There's a nice little chart for reference. This was established in the Clean Air Act. It has to be followed on burn plans as well.

Thelonegoose

That's not exactly how it works now. TN now passed a prescribed burn law a few years ago that states if 1) your burn boss is certified (all TDF should be since they put the training on), 2) you have a burn plan, 3) it's a good plan, and 4) you follow your plan or mitigate when you deviated from it, negligence must be proven for you to be held liable. Essentially the burn boss's certification shields you from liability in case of unforeseeable events.

If your burn boss is burning on questionable weather days, they are violating this and simple liability applies, sorta like giving a 12 year old the car keys. Insurance is still a prudent choice.
This is helpful to know. TDF did not explain this to me a couple of years ago. I would like to start burning small segments (5-10 acres) on my own in a few years. I guess I should look into the burn boss certification. Thanks for explaining it.

Planking

I've burned plenty and just went through the proper channels and listened to their advice. It went smooth each time. First ive ever heard about having to have extra insurance. I would call my insurance company first and see if its covered under a homeowners before i purchased anything. I don't see why general liablity wouldn't cover it. Your liabilty on your land is covered under that. If my cow runs out in the road and causes an accident its the same thing.

Best advice i can give is to have more people than you would think you need to put out anything that might jump across. That has happened to us a couple of times but it was minor.

JCDEERMAN

Go down in the Deep South where they burn pine plantations on a fairly regular basis. If smoke from your burn crosses a road and someone has an accident because of the smoke, YOU are legally liable. They HAVE to have good burn insurance down there.
Yep I've seen it. SO many different variables. Not just with each individual weather condition, but also state laws and regs.

For those on the fence about it, f you have the means and manpower to do it, it the most cost-effective and best way to manage all wildlife

nwsg76

For information about attending the TN Prescribed Fire Managers class contact Robin Bible. He is the safety division leader with TN Division of Forestry. Typically 2 classes are offered per year. Spring/fall.

Latest posts