Power trim woes

Lt.Dan

Last fall the power trim went up just fine. When I went to put the motor down in the water for the winter, nothing. I figured a relay went bad. So I finally went to change the relays and the electric motor worked, but the outboard neither went up or down. I've done some research and figure it may be low on fluid. I will be checking it this weekend, but if that is not the issue; does anyone have an idea what I should look at next?

Lt.Dan

What make and year? You hear the motor running but no movement. What position is it in currently?
2000 Evinrude 90hp FITCH, and it's in the up position. Correct, I hear the motor running, the relays click when the buttons are pushed. There is no high-pitched whirring sound from the motor. It sounds normal like it always has sounded. Just no movement of the outboard.

BigCityBubba

I am not familiar with that model but it sounds like you are low on trim oil. I had a mercury that had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be low fluid. I found the leak and it was not worth fixing so I kept filling it every few trips or so. If you ever get stuck with the motor up like I did, there should be a release valve somewhere to lower it. Hopefully, its an easy fix.

Lt.Dan

I am not familiar with that model but it sounds like you are low on trim oil. I had a mercury that had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be low fluid. I found the leak and it was not worth fixing so I kept filling it every few trips or so. If you ever get stuck with the motor up like I did, there should be a release valve somewhere to lower it. Hopefully, its an easy fix.
Thanks for the info. I will be checking the fluid tomorrow, and hoping that's the case. Good to know about similar problems and the fixes.

Lt.Dan

The unit was full of oil. I finally got the manual valve screw turned, and lowered the motor. If anyone has a seized manual screw, penetrating oil and wait about an hour for it to work. Once the motor lowered down to the trim shafts it started working. Checked the oil again in a lower position and it was still full. I guess when I raised it in the fall it just got stuck.

My recommendation: turn that screw once a year and keep it freed up. I broke a number 3 blade flat head screwdriver trying to free it up.

Latest posts