Powder buying question

PickettSFHunter

So I've never ordered powder online before. Always bought local and avoided hazmat fees. Of course that is very hard to do anymore. What is the most cost effective method for ordering powder? I tried a test of buying 1 pound that was $30 and it ended up at $50. Just wondering if there's a better way. Thank you!

Hunter 257W

Don't buy new powders you want to try on-line because you only want 1 lb at first in case you find it don't work well with your rifle. As you mentioned, the Haz-Mat charge practically doubles the cost of a single pound of powder. Buy that first 1 lb can at a local store then if you develop a good load with it you can order 8 lbs at a time on-line. You buy primers 5,000 at a time too to cut the Haz-Mat charge impact.

It's hard to believe that just about a year ago Free Haz-Mat sales were very common and components were all in stock.

TiminTN

Keep an eye out frequently on line at as many sources as practical. Be getting others needs so you can order enough to offset hazmat. Its out there if you look. It sells out in a matter of minutes/hours so lots of folks quit watching. I had a great run of luck the last 30 days or so and was able to stock up. Some allow 10 one pound per day, or 1 eight pound. Powder Vally allows 2 eight pound containers per order.

DaveB

^^^ this^^^

Get a series of links/shortcuts and start hitting them every day at least two or three times. More if you can. Get your logon credentials saved at each site so you can get to where you want with the fewest possible clicks. Know EXACTLY what you want. Have your CC ready.

I cannot tell you how many opportunities I have lost because I dilly-dallied just a few brief moments.

The other day SPS had .308 150 gr Accubonds. I got up to check my stash and when I came back they were sold out. My stash was maybe 20 feet from me. Remember, he who hesitates is lost.

And the charge on your CC will fade from memory long before that sinking feeling when you have not got ammo goes away.

MUP

^^^ this^^^

Get a series of links/shortcuts and start hitting them every day at least two or three times. More if you can. Get your logon credentials saved at each site so you can get to where you want with the fewest possible clicks. Know EXACTLY what you want. Have your CC ready.

I cannot tell you how many opportunities I have lost because I dilly-dallied just a few brief moments.

The other day SPS had .308 150 gr Accubonds. I got up to check my stash and when I came back they were sold out. My stash was maybe 20 feet from me. Remember, he who hesitates is lost.

And the charge on your CC will fade from memory long before that sinking feeling when you have not got ammo goes away.
Dave, I've gotten several notifications from SPS the last few months regarding 150 gr NAB's, and by the time I opened the site they were gone.

Latest posts