Pouring jig heads….

redblood

Anyone do it. They are too high at walmart or big box stores. I order them in bulk on ebay, but it seems to get exactly the hook i want- id be better served to pour my own. Anyone with any recommendations on where to start. We fish for river smallmouth and lake crappie- deep lakes on brush piles and go through a ton of them.

Iglow

I have football jig molds, u need a melting pot, I've got a Lee, and just the mold for the jig you want. Get some lead wheel weights if you can find them or go to a scrap yard and get some lead pipe etc. Do your casting outdoors if you can to stay away from the fumes. Don't EVER let any sweat or water get in that pot with melted lead, it'll splatter violently. You gotta skim the crap off the top of the melted lead to clean it up. And you gotta smoke your mold before you start casting.

TNRifleman

Man, this brings back memories. I used to pour jigs and paint them with my gramps in his basement in the early 80's. He would melt the lead in a casting ladle over the gas oven and we would pour and paint for hours

XCR-2

When you paint the heads use a good powder paint and 100% put a clear coat on it. If you don't the paint will last about 5 casts.

megalomaniac

For crappie, I prefer the aspirin head jig mold made by Do-It. I like the reflective sticky eyes on and usually use white natural bucktail from deer I kill to dress. Red thread to tie the bucktail to the jig.

I also like chartreuse bucktail as well, but have to spend $$$ for it.

Not sure where to source the lead any more. I've got a hundred pounds stocked up from way back when. Used to get 5g bucket full of lead wheel weights from tire stores. They don't give that stuff away any longer.

Latest posts