Playing THEIR game

Coker

I know I have said in other threads that the breeding and gobbling are just about done in my neck of the woods. I also said that the gobblers can still be killed. This time of year can be very exciting, if you find a Gobler that is willing to play your game. But, it can be very humiliating and rewarding from hard work if you have to play their game. From the time I set foot in the woods on Opening Morning, I realized that I would have to play their game. The birds in my neck of the woods are not responding to any calls, the Tom's are grouped back up, and most of the hens are on nest. They will gobble on roost, but once they hit the ground, they will only gobble randomly, but not at any calls. This means, I've had my work cut out for me the last week. Both of the birds that I killed have been the result of a game of cat and mouse, with lots of patience. Like I said earlier, they can be killed, even if you have to play their game.
The first one was in a field, and I snuck up on him using a Creek that was below the field level. Popped up over the creek bank and shot him. He never gobbled. There were two other gobblers and four hens in the field, and none of them were vocal and would not respond to any of my calls.
The second one was roosted with two other gobblers, and they gobble their heads off. But, they hit the ground and became silent. They would gobble about every 15 to 20 minutes to let me know where they were going. Again, they would not gobble to any of my calls. I became silent as well. I knew the ridge they were on and where they were going . I got in front of them and they walked into my lap.
Both hunts were very exciting, rewarding and proof that non responsive gobblers can be killed. It just takes a little bit of patience, woodsmanship and drive not to quit.
Hope y'all have a great rest of the season. I'm washing my clothes, cleaning my gun and calling it a season.

Attachments

• 898C085C-61C2-4AEE-8892-98C692B85B54.jpeg
    898C085C-61C2-4AEE-8892-98C692B85B54.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 78ED58D6-5205-4D8A-B7FD-FB1FCA511CBB.jpeg
    78ED58D6-5205-4D8A-B7FD-FB1FCA511CBB.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

WilcoKen

Great post. In my area, this is exactly how it is playing out since the late opener. I used to use the tactics you describe. I dont know why, but I cant make myself go after a bird in that way any more. I love calling in a big Tom but now you really don't even need a call to kill a bird where I hunt. Hunt them like deer I guess.

JeepKuntry

Congrats. The past 2 hunts I have been on have resulted in 0 gobbles. Gonna try some next week once I have free time then on to shellcracker fishing!

Hridge

I am NOT going to deer hunt them. If they wont play the game they live another year.
I couldn't agree more. If they are done, so am I. I do not throw shade at those who stalk them either. I love hunting and want everyone in the woods enjoying Gods creation while we can and how they see fit.