Playing hard to get

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Had one yesterday that was gobbling good. I would only call after 3 or more gobbles. I thought I was playing hard to get and draw him in. He worked to about 75 yards but couldn't see him due to terrain. He would pace back and forth on a line (probably strutting) gobbling. I kept up my hard to get and just did a little leaf scratching. This lasted for awhile, and then the next time I heard him he was probably 200 yards away, and never gobbled again. I assume he picked up a hen and she led him away. Th question I have, is I guess I won the game of hard to get?..😀

PalsPal

Yep, that's the chess game. Little angel telling you to keep it soft and quiet that he'll show any time, while the little devil on the other shoulder is screaming to pour it on because he's going to gobble up a hen if you don't!

Carlos

I went today, from about 10am-1pm. There was one gobbling on his own, and occasionally he'd gobble at my calls from about 150 yards away. He even got closer one time, sounded like he was within 100 yards.
I'm going back after him as soon as I pickup the kiddos from school.
This light rain is just about perfect huntin weather.

themanpcl

Had that same situation yesterday. 2 gobblers gobbling off the roost. Hen flew down in field 80 yds away. Both gobblers flew down, same area. Gobbled at my calling but stayed too far away following her. I guess I won the hard to get game too...lol. Now the hen, we had quite a chat. She was very vocal but walking away to the other property. She apparently did not regard my calling as worthy enough to come over and get into it but she did holler back every few minutes to make sure I didn't forget...lol...