Playing the wind?

MUP

Well, I'm a firm believer in hunting the wind. That said, I have hunted with the wind blowing directly toward where I expected the deer to be coming from, only I was high up on a ridge, and the terrain sloped downward steeply. My thinking was that, with the thermals moving upward, and my scent being carried up higher above the lower terrain below, that my scent would not make it to the ground floor. It works as I've had deer come from that direction multiple times using the same strategy. If I had used the "wind in the face or go home" strategy, I wouldn't have been able to hunt this particular area with that wind direction at all on those mornings.

woodsman87

BHC said:
What do you guys think of this regime to intense or spot on?

Scent Control Regime

1. Clothing
-wear carbon suit
-wash under garments every hunt(anything that touches skin),and others as needed
- store clothes in a sealed container
- place baking soda in container to absorb any remaining scent
- dress w outer garments at stand
- spray down with scent eliminator every hr on stand
- where rubber boots
-change socks and under garments each hunt unless able to wash them between hunts
-place baking soda in boots to absorb any scent also sprinkle on under garments
- never expose clothes to inside of house,vehicle, or food.

2. Body
- prior to hunts eat as little greasy or unhealthy food and drinks (coke beer, etc.)as possible
-always use bathroom before heading to stand to try and rid as many toxins as possible
- begin taking chlorophyll tablets 2 weeks prior to season
- shower the night before and the morning of the hunt jus before heading to stand with unscented soap and shampoo
-use scent eliminating deodorant
- if you break a sweat in the stand rub the area of concern down with neosporinin or hydrogen peroxide.�
- always brush teeth, floss, and use mouth wash 3 times a day during the season
-While �on stand rub down with hydrogen peroxide on exposed skin every hr or so as hunt goes on
- sweating I believe also helps rid the body of toxins, so vigorous sweating on days prior to hunts likely helps

I think it sounds great and if it works for you and your disciplined enough to do all of that then do it. But there is no way I could make myself do all of that. I also don't kill many mature bucks either.

woodsman87

I definately do not wash my clothes after every hunt, especially the camoflauge part. I do not want them to fade, therefore I hardly wash them unless I sweat excessively in them. I normally just hang them up outside every day or night no a close line and just let them "air out." I will wash my thermal underwear and stuff though.

If yall wash your camo every time, how do you keep it from fading so much and looking like snow camoflauge? I know deer are color blind, but I turkey hunt too, and I also like to feel camoflaged good.

It is almost useless around here to worry about sweat. Seems like now a days its in the 70s on thanksgiving, in the 70s and 80s much of bowseason, and doesn't get un-sweaty weather until late december.
Sweating while deer hunting is just part of hunting in the southeast, just like football practice in the south.

BHC

Poser this is not my scent control regimen, but one I've found and wanted to see how intense some others on here are. I have a pretty good program but have started slacking more and more.. This yr I plan to get back to where I was and even exceed it some I'm Gunna try to follow the one I posted for the most part aside from the eating thing I may try to plan what I eat the day before a hunt, but that's about it... But everything else I'm Gunna try to do to a T and see how my results improve.. I also plan to change my mindset of only hunting stands with the wind basically in my face or not blowing the way I expect the deer to travel from. For this reason am Gunna adjust some of my stands this summer be it higher or 50yrds in a given direction. The reason why and the reason why I started this thread is because I was watching Bill Vale's you tube videos, and it got me to thinking. And every mature buck I've seen the past few yrs has been moving into the wind to some extent. I'm also Gunna start keeping better records of the weather and deer movement.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
woodsman87 said:
If yall wash your camo every time, how do you keep it from fading so much and looking like snow camoflauge? I know deer are color blind, but I turkey hunt too, and I also like to feel camoflaged good.

I just don't wear camo, or if I do, I don't care if it fades.

leader

Poser said:
BHC said:

Scent Control Regime

1. Clothing
-wear carbon suit
-wash under garments every hunt(anything that touches skin),and others as needed
- where rubber boots
-change socks and under garments each hunt unless able to wash them between hunts

2. Body
- prior to hunts eat as little greasy or unhealthy food and drinks (coke beer, etc.)as possible
-always use bathroom before heading to stand to try and rid as many toxins as possible
- shower the night before and the morning of the hunt jus before heading to stand with unscented soap and shampoo
- if you break a sweat in the stand rub the area of concern down with neosporinin or hydrogen peroxide.�
-While �on stand rub down with hydrogen peroxide on exposed skin every hr or so as hunt goes on
- sweating I believe also helps rid the body of toxins, so vigorous sweating on days prior to hunts likely helps

I am pretty similar in that I change in the field, use carbon, wash base layers and socks after each hunt etc, though I don't use much spray at all as I do not feel that I need it. I do spray down my backpack after sweaty hunts as well as my bow release.

I also do not worry about what I eat because, well.... my wife is such a great cook that I eat whatever she makes. I usually don't eat heavy foods before going hunting just because its not the most conducive to productive hunting for me. I like a light breakfast of oatmeal or something, but I definitely do not go so far as to avoid spicy foods or onions and garlic altogether like some hunters I know. I agree that it makes a difference, but I am not willing to go that far. I do limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning and drink lots of water.

I don't wipe down very much (though I do some, but definitely not every hour) in the stand on sweaty days either. Hunting on hot days in West TN is just going to be sweaty and I have accepted that and just go with it.

Chlorophyl tablets do definitely work. I experimented with them some and noticed that my armpits don't stink even when not wearing deodorant. I also noticed that my crap has little or no odor. People that have chronic bad breath often use it effectively so, it works for your breath as well. I'm going to use them again this season maybe to help cancel out all the spicy foods I eat.

How often do you take Chloryphyll in season, any side effects?
Sounds interesting....

deerhunter10

imo you must play the wind the best you can to kill mature consistently. but what I have found at least on our farms is that the wind swirls all the time. if I gotta I will switch stands if the wind switches. I think good scent regimen is must. at least to help some. but I don't believe deer quarter in the wind all the time. as said earlier I do think around bedding areas is when you will see it the most. but if your not hunting the wind you hurting yourself a lot. at least hunt it the best you can. I think deer trust their nose more then anything else. may be wrong about that but it sure does seem like that.

TN RDG RNR

Wish I had a nickel for every time I climbed a tree and the wind shifted. Its probably caused me to say more 4 letter words than any other one thing. Except maybe the ex-wife.

Normally hunt big woods in a climber and swirling, shifting or even calm winds always seem not to be in my favor. So I try an focus on thermals and how the terrain will cause scent to travel, also firmly believe thermals are a more predictable factor in picking better stand locations but, still cuss every time the wind screws me. :)

rem270

I try to play the wind as much as possible. But ive been hunting my place for 17yrs. And theres only few spots that i know about the exact location they'll come from. All my other spots they can pop out of anywhere. So pretty much i shower before i hunt, spray down and just hope for the best. I killed my biggest buck and he came straight down wind of me trailing a doe. Wind was blowing 20mph and i shot him at 50yds. I was set up playing the wind expecting him to come in front of me. He did right the opposite.

BHC

leader said:
Poser said:
BHC said:

Scent Control Regime

1. Clothing
-wear carbon suit
- where rubber boots

2. Body

I am pretty similar in that I change in the field, use carbon, wash base layers and socks after each hunt etc, though I don't use much spray at all as I do not feel that I need it. I do spray down my backpack after sweaty hunts as well as my bow release.

I also do not worry about what I eat because, well.... my wife is such a great cook that I eat whatever she makes. I usually don't eat heavy foods before going hunting just because its not the most conducive to productive hunting for me. I like a light breakfast of oatmeal or something, but I definitely do not go so far as to avoid spicy foods or onions and garlic altogether like some hunters I know. I agree that it makes a difference, but I am not willing to go that far. I do limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning and drink lots of water.

I don't wipe down very much (though I do some, but definitely not every hour) in the stand on sweaty days either. Hunting on hot days in West TN is just going to be sweaty and I have accepted that and just go with it.

Chlorophyl tablets do definitely work. I experimented with them some and noticed that my armpits don't stink even when not wearing deodorant. I also noticed that my crap has little or no odor. People that have chronic bad breath often use it effectively so, it works for your breath as well. I'm going to use them again this season maybe to help cancel out all the spicy foods I eat.

Sounds interesting....

You get a bottle and it should say on it but you take it like vitamins once a day generally. No negative side affects. I have heard it will flush your system when you first start taking it.

bigasports

leader said:
Poser said:
BHC said:

Scent Control Regime

1. Clothing
-wear carbon suit
- where rubber boots

2. Body

Sounds interesting....

I start taking chlorophyll tablets 3 weeks before bow season starts. I usually get mine from GNC. Take one tablet each day. No negative effects.

archer19

I pick what stand I'm going to the night before check the weather to see how cold to pack clothes. Get up and go hunt. Mountains are impossible to hunt the wind.

Food Plot 101

archer19 said:
I pick what stand I'm going to the night before check the weather to see how cold to pack clothes. Get up and go hunt. Mountains are impossible to hunt the wind.

I do the same. I try to factor in the wind from sunrise to mid morning. I don't hunt mountains but my gps tells me I hunt from just under 600 ft above sea level to a little under 1,000. I'm not a big fan of hunting on tops of hills as the wind gets squirreley (sp) but the deer cross the low spots. Good luck!

Latest posts