Planting For Dove

jughead

Was wanting to plant something to hunt the second season and possibly the last one. Its on the mountain and I did'nt realize there was a good population of dove till recently. My dad has a couple of feeders out for deer and turkey watching. Lately hes been putting out some wheat. The other day I bet there were at least 100 birds out there. The place I have is about three miles away. there is a pond, good roosting(cedars & pines),and a power line on one end. I've got about 8 acres to plant. The equipment I have is a 20 hp. 4x4 Kubota, tiller, cultivator, disc, and a bush hog. Was thinking that if I done this a few years I could have a good population of birds.
I was wanting to plant something and bushhog a little every week or so for about six weeks. Then afer I make it legal, hunt it the second season.

This may not even be legal!

Chaneylake

in one of the next issues of the MSHF magazines, there should, hopefully, be an article that Taylor, Al, and Ray are doing on sunflowers for doves, its an indepth article covering beginning to end on Sunflowers, over the past 10 years, i have in my own mind become a professional on sunflowers for doves, as a person starts planting sunflowers for doves, he will learn a lot of things, number 1 is that if there are a lot of deer around, the deer will mow them down before they ever produce a head. the cost is basically whatever that you want to spend on them