Planted Yesferday.

hambone

I planted yesterday with the hopes for rain the next couple of days. Thanks to Deerchaser 007 for the help. The only problem now is the neighbors horses. This guys horses have been living on our and the farm next to ours for four months! This has been a problem for four years but never this bad. They have grazed most of what we had planted before I turned the fields over. We have both reported him to the sheriffs dept. but nothing is happening and it ticks me off.I do not know what else to do or what I can do according to the law. I wish the sheriffs would confiscate the horses.

JohnnyDollar

you ought to spend a few dollars and buy a electric fence charger with a solar panel so you don't have to plug it in and string the ribbon or wire (which ever you choose) where the horses are getting on your land and the horses will stay away. The deer will jump the ribbon/wire and still use the food plot. That is the way I would handle the situation. You can probably get one of the chargers on ebay and not have to spend a whole lot of money. :cool:

deerchaser007

Had a blast playing in the dust yesterday jason.:grin:

Get them horses out ,.. they will totally destroy all the hard work you have done getting them plots prepared and planted. Even if you have to patch the fence yourself,.. you'd better keep'em out. If you like ,. i'll gladly help you walk the fence and spot the parts their coming thru. I did see 1 spot before you turn to go into the long field 1 acre spot i think they are going under. Never seen it before,.. but the fence is covered in horse hair. May have to take the frontend loader and drag a log in front of that spot. OF course,.. we need to be sure they are of your place before the fence is fixed.

Did you get my PM about adding sand to the chicory when you overseed it??

Looks like we got some rain headed our way right now from the west if it holds together. Hopefully the first of much to come the next 2 days.

You holler at me if you need anything else. DC007

hambone

I got your PM. The problem with fixing the spots is that he has no fence what so ever for about 500 yards as it goes through the woods. Well see what happens.

deerchaser007

Never noticed that spot without fence. It would be wise for you guys and the guy who owns the horses to go in half of all cost and have that spot fixed and the other spots that are bad. Without it,... i can tell you what will happen..............NOTHING!!! Your plots will be horse plots and not wildlife plots. AND six horses will destroy them very quickly too.

TAS

Heck, I don't know about horses but I have cattle and think horses are considered livestock also. If that's the case he is liable for em and needs to fix his own dang fences! If I have some cows that get out and eat someones crops or someone hits em with a car, guess who pays?

deerchaser007

I guess i'm just alittle ole fashioned and still believe in being neighborly. Were i come from the fenceline is shared by both landowners ,.. and both should have equal expense.

Thats just me though.........

hambone

The part that has no fence is not on our property. It is down an old public dirt road that is up there by the long field. I dont mind string en another strand of wire along the second ridge field and down the road to the property line but the horses wont leave.

TAS

deerchaser007 said:
I guess i'm just alittle ole fashioned and still believe in being neighborly. Were i come from the fenceline is shared by both landowners ,.. and both should have equal expense.

That's true where both parties have livestock. But, I assume you talked to the landowner and he is hard to live with. If not why did you call the cops? Where I come from, you HELP the neighbor get in his livestock and fix his fence. But if you called the sheriff and this guy has 500 feet of fence down, obviously he don't care about his horses. No self respecting farmer would let his fences get in that kind of shape unless he is physically unable. In which case I would fix his fence for him before I called the authorities. Unfortunately horses tend to be neglected in some cases. Cattlemen have too much to lose and seem to have those kind of problems less frequent.

TAS

Hey man, don't slam me then. I am just telling you that guy needs to fix his fences especially if he is aware of the problems his livestock is causing others. You don't even know how much I help other farms around mine. But there is a responsibility with owning livestock and being neighborly to include keeping your stuff from eating away other peoples hard work. I am a farmer who understands the work that goes into food plots!

deerchaser007

DUDE,... how am i slamming you!! I'm agreeing with you in a way. Yes,.. its mostly the guys fault that has the horses ,.. but what i'm saying is alot of neighbors will work together to solve the problem. Then ,.. i pointed out that it was not my farm,. it was hambones lease,.. and now your pannies are in a bind.

Nowere in my post did i judge how you run your farm or how you should. Calm down,... its not the end of the world.

Yes,.. he did go to the cops, yes his neighbors have the same problem with the horses and they have gone to the cops,.. and yes ,.. the guy could probably care less about his horses. BUT,.. i don't know this for fact. I'm just presenting hambone with options as you are.

NOW,.. lets go hunting!!!

TAS

deerchaser007 said:

Where I come from saying I ain't neighborly is a slam. :confused:

Where you wanta go huntin? :)

deerchaser007

TAS,... you took that statement wrong,...

i was referring to were you said its your livestock and your responsible for the fence. I was saying by that statement that i would be neighborly and not put the full responsibility solely on you and i would pay half.

I wasn't saying you were not neighborly at all. BUT,... if you want to pay for it all go right ahead,.. that very generous of you.:grin:

I hear hickman county has nice deer.........:grin:

deerchaser007

TAS said:
Heck, I might even let cha hunt with me a couple days. How good are at ageing deer on the hoof?

I can get it in the 3 main classes.........
yearling (1.5)
middle aged (2.5 to 3.5)
older age(4.5 plus)

Thats as good as i will claim to be........

TAS

That's good enough. :) I know your a nice guy. You were helping someone else put in their food plots and I believe in your signature. I have a few decent mature bucks. :grin:

Latest posts