Pistol for wife

backyardtndeer

Yep! She can shoot my 9 but I popped the clip out last night and had her try racking the slide. It was a struggle to say the least. That makes me believe a hammerless revolver is the way to go. I realize some slides work easier than others so the point you make is a good one. I also wonder about ammo, I have seen 9mm at different places but is 380 or 38 hard to find or is it popping up now. Thanks for all the information that is being given I am looking at each pistol and reading about it as you recommend it. This would be to carry in her purse . Thanks again for all recommendations!
My oldest daughter has a shield 380 ez that her and her husband bought together from a salesman that talked then into that model. She hates it. She likes my wife's shield 9 better. My wife is pretty small, she has no issue racking the slide on the standard shield 9. Last I checked 380 ammo was higher than comparable type 9mm, another reason to lean against the 380.

Good advice on letting her handle different guns. I had my wife check out several at academy in Jackson. She liked the feel of the shield over the others, fit her hand well.

DaveTN

Looking at a Smith 442 looks like the same gun basically as the lady smith 642. Do you know the difference ? Seems to have great reviews and my wife loves the way it feels in here hand.
The difference is finish, and material the 442 is Lightweight alloy frame, Stainless steel barrel, Carbon steel cylinder. The 642 is Lightweight alloy frame, Stainless steel barrel and cylinder. They are both .38 only. Both have an internal hammer, the are double action only.

The Model 60 is all stainless steel, it has an exposed hammer and weighs more. It's 38/357.

More weight is very desirable in any S&W J-frame (Model 60 Stainless, Model 36 Steel). These aren't range guns, they are belly guns and are not fun to shoot. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; that's their application. They are the most sought after small revolvers on earth.

I would not want a hammerless revolver, but that's just my personal preference. But I would want the most weight I could get in a J-frame. Most are .38, the Model 60 is also .357Mag, she, or you, won't want to shoot .357mag in it, but it makes it much more desirable if you decide to sell it.

DaveTN

She shoots my 9mm well , 9mm / 380? Just looking for recommendations of a brand and model for her . Just something reliable .
If she shoots a 9mm well, then don't even consider a .380. It's a worthless round that has an application. But if she shoots a 9mm well; its not the application for her. The Shield EZ 380 had plenty of problems with failures that the 9mm did not have.

nso123

Just going to throw this out in case anyone tries to point you toward the Hellcat. I have one and love it, but the recoil is substantial. I don't think most ladies would be able to handle it well.

deerfever

Do they weigh about the same? I think the 642 is an airweight.
Both are air weights, I read and the above poster is correct the barrel finish is different. Weight is 15 ounces, they look exactly the same. I know it's not a range gun, she doesn't need that. She needs a reliable easy to use gun that will do the job if she ever got in a situation that she needed it. She loved the feel of it. I have read and watched every review possible it's a good gun. Two police officers who happened to be outside the gun store both recommended the revolver( for the same reasons you did) . One said he had the same exact gun for 20 years as a back up and had it with him. I may get it and if it doesn't work , I will have a great little concealable revolver for me and we back up and punt!

peytoncreekhunter

I'm retired LEO (32 yrs). Also I
was thinking that my wife may limp wrist the semi auto and get a malfunction and with not training to clear it she would be holding a paper weight. Plus she did have a little trouble running the slide.

peytoncreekhunter

One thing you might do is when you take your wife to shoot it is to have her put it in her purse (if that is how she intends to carry it) and time her on getting it out, getting on target and firing it. That really opened my wife eyes on how long it took her and what could happen. She started always carrying it in the same place in her purse and practiced with it.

deerfever

I'm retired LEO (32 yrs). Also I
was thinking that my wife may limp wrist the semi auto and get a malfunction and with not training to clear it she would be holding a paper weight. Plus she did have a little trouble running the slide.
Yes sir! They mentioned that also, just said the simplicity of it made it easier for their wives also. She wants that revolver for the way it feels. They let her feel the trigger weight and all. She had no problem with it. Again she will have to shoot and get used to it but I am telling you she can shoot. They had target ammo and one of the workers I know has defense ammo that he is going to sale me at a great price, he has the same gun but put a different grip on it for his hand size, he loves his. Great idea on the purse I will have her do that once she gets used to the gun.

peytoncreekhunter

Yes sir! They mentioned that also, just said the simplicity of it made it easier for their wives also. She wants that revolver for the way it feels. They let her feel the trigger weight and all. She had no problem with it. Again she will have to shoot and get used to it but I am telling you she can shoot. They had target ammo and one of the workers I know has defense ammo that he is going to sale me at a great price, he has the same gun but put a different grip on it for his hand size, he loves his. Great idea on the purse I will have her do that once she gets used to the gun.

And if you don't have an electric timer, get one. My wife had a great time shooting under the timer. I kept shortening the par time and she liked the challenge of trying to beat the second beep on the timer.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
We bought my Wife a Glock 42 which is a 380 but she prefers the 43 which is 9mm. The frame of the 43 isn't much larger. Handles it well. On the topic of a less lethal device, we bought a Byrna SD.

deerfever

We bought my Wife a Glock 42 which is a 380 but she prefers the 43 which is 9mm. The frame of the 43 isn't much larger. Handles it well. On the topic of a less lethal device, we bought a Byrna SD.
I like the Glock 43 , my dad has a 43x at this point but had the 43 and my SIL now has it. Great guns!

CritterGitter

Mine ended up with the glock 43x. The longer grip made her feel way more comfortable. Being able to hold it secure. She hated the smaller grips where your pinky is useless. Recoil isnt bad , trigger is crisp , its very accurate and simple . She loves it . It was 499$

philsanchez76

The wife tried a revolver first and hated it. Moved on to semi autos and she shot those 100x more accurately but could not rack the slides. Finally found the Sig P238 little 1911. Easiest rack I've ever seen. She has no problem with it. Can put 9/10 shots into a 6 inch target with it. As for the 380 caliber limitation we loaded it up with buffalo bore 380 which is equivalent to a standard 9mm. A lot of 380s won't handle those higher pressure loads but the sig is rated for it.

deerfever

Well I got the Smith and Wesson 442 38 revolver, She really likes it and shot well today with it. I shot it some and the gun is solid. Now my search turns to me as I realize how bad I hate the trigger on my Taurus slim 9mm! I think I will look at some of the compact 9mm you guys have recommended. I know the Glock 43 is a good one but I am going to look at several. I actually watched a review on a Taurus Gc3 that was really good from a guy that said he normally don't like the brand. I will start that process now, Thanks so much for all the input you guys gave on the subject. Any suggestions on a compact 9mm are welcome! Thanks again!

Latest posts