Pistol age vs. accuracy?

Crosshairy

I'm planning on buying a revolver in the very near future (~6.5 - 8" barrel) to use deer hunting. My plan is to either hunt iron sights or with a red-dot sight, and my goal is to become proficient enough while shooting with a monopod shooting stick to have a 50-75 yard comfort zone.

I've noticed some pretty good options (and savings) within the used gun market, but some of the pistols I'm looking at are 20-30 years old (or a bit more) that have the barrel length I want.

I know in the case of rifles, advancements in bedding, floating, barrel manufacture, trigger precision, etc. have greatly improved the average rifle's accuracy off the shelf.

My question -
Would I expect a noticeable decrease in accuracy from a pistol built in 1975-1985 versus the last 5-10 years?

If it matters, I'm mainly looking at the Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk and Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Thanks for your feedback.

Coach

I have a Smith Wesson revolver that my grandfather willed to me when he died in 1965...I shoot it regularly and it's a tack driver. I get a little spark once in awhile but that's easily repaired, I've grown to like it...

pcrc

IMO just about any gun made twenty years ago would be of better quality than one made today by the same manufacturer. As long as it looks new and does not have a ton of wear you wont be disappointed.

348Winchester

EXACTLY what PCRC said!

A Smith & Wesson from the 30's-80's is a much better quality gun than one made today.

I own many of them and they are all excellent. Hell, I have one from 1906 that still shoots very accuratly.

Crosshairy

Well that makes me feel better...I'll probably "pull the trigger" on a deal over the next few weeks if I can scrape together another couple hundred bucks.

Latest posts