Pinhoti Chokes

Bgoodman30

All this talk of missing and too tight of patterns has me looking again. Has anyone tried the Pinhoti chokes? Thinking of trying the .585 in my 20 to see how it likes that open constriction.

Remington700

I don't have the Pinhoti branded choke, but do have Trulock in .585. I shoot it out of my Franchi Affinity 3, 20 gauge. I am extremely pleased with the performance. The regular Trulock chick is a bit cheaper than the Pinhoti. Also, the Pinhoti choke is cheaper on Daves site than Trulocks.

Bgoodman30

I have a RR 560 and Jebs 560 both patterns are similar but the I prefer the RR because of its shorter profile. I might give the Pinhoti a try.

Boll Weevil

OP, Depending on what shell/shot you're planning to use, might be surprised at how stock chokes pattern...I know I was. I run TSS 8/10s in my long barrel (wicked pattern) and whatever old 6s I got laying around in my short barrel (0-25yards). Both barrels have the standard .580 choke (I think that's factory full) but it's the chosen shell that helps achieve desired pattern density at any given range.

Bgoodman30

OP, Depending on what shell/shot you're planning to use, might be surprised at how stock chokes pattern...I know I was. I run TSS 8/10s in my long barrel (wicked pattern) and whatever old 6s I got laying around in my short barrel (0-25yards). Both barrels have the standard .580 choke (I think that's factory full) but it's the chosen shell that helps achieve desired pattern density at any given range.

Yeah I guess I need to pattern the factory choke as well. If only ammo wasn't so high and unavailable!😫

deerfever

I shoot a Carlson 575 non ported extended turkey. I shoot it out of 4 different 20 gauge shotguns and have shot it out of a Tri Star 5th brand also. The thing is like magic and throws wonderful hunting patterns. This choke is around 30 35 bucks or was. Good luck!

Rakkin6

Not shooting a 20 but with my 12 I called directly to Indian Creek and asked them what they though out of my guns I was shooting. So shooting 3" 2.25oz #9 and shooting 3" 2.25oz #7.5/9 blend they recommended a .665 in one of my guns and a .675 in another. I also contacted William at Sumtoy for his recommendations he gave me the same answers. So I have an Indian Creek and a Sumtoy for each gun and they both shoot lights out. These pictures are one for each gun at 40 yards. They aren't centered up 100% in these pics but you get the idea of the patterns. So I say that a lot of these companies have done a lot of experimenting with different setups already so give them a call. And I wasn't trying to sway you to either of those companies even though they are my favorites. But I bet if you called trulock told them your gun and shell combo and what you were looking for in a pattern they would give you the best advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_164543899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210402_164543899_HDR.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20210402_162836604.jpg
    IMG_20210402_162836604.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

megalomaniac

Has anyone shot a terrible pattern with TSS out of a 20g with any choke? Some may be too tight, but I bet just about any choke is going to give you an even pattern with 150-250 hits at 40y with 1 1/2oz #9's...

I'm serious about the question.... I haven't done any extensive patterning with TSS, just shot each 20g I have once or twice. Pattern was better than anything I've ever seen before.

Rakkin6

Oh I am sure they have. If you shoot to tight a constriction with TSS it will blow your pattern out. My starting point in a 12 is .665 at the tightest. One of my chokes is a.665 in my Mossberg 535 in my 835 I shoot .675. I think with a 20 gauge 560 -562 is a good starting point .

Bgoodman30

Not shooting a 20 but with my 12 I called directly to Indian Creek and asked them what they though out of my guns I was shooting. So shooting 3" 2.25oz #9 and shooting 3" 2.25oz #7.5/9 blend they recommended a .665 in one of my guns and a .675 in another. I also contacted William at Sumtoy for his recommendations he gave me the same answers. So I have an Indian Creek and a Sumtoy for each gun and they both shoot lights out. These pictures are one for each gun at 40 yards. They aren't centered up 100% in these pics but you get the idea of the patterns. So I say that a lot of these companies have done a lot of experimenting with different setups already so give them a call. And I wasn't trying to sway you to either of those companies even though they are my favorites. But I bet if you called trulock told them your gun and shell combo and what you were looking for in a pattern they would give you the best advice.
Nice which one is pattern on the left?

Rakkin6

That's the .675 out of a Mossberg 835 and the blends, once I centered up the one on the right it shot straight #9 out of a Mossberg 535 and .665 just has good. I polished both barrels and that does help. And I run a note snake in between each shot also. I will look and see if I can't find the other pic of the 535.

Gobble4me757

I've found there are great looking paper patterns and great hunting patterns. Don't get caught up with the great paper patterns like I did and miss bird after bird up close cause it was too tight. I shoot a factory full and it will kill good out to 45 or so yards

chrmayo

I've found there are great looking paper patterns and great hunting patterns. Don't get caught up with the great paper patterns like I did and miss bird after bird up close cause it was too tight. I shoot a factory full and it will kill good out to 45 or so yards
I almost did this last year. My a5 with jebs was super tight but shot just a bit off the right. Had a gobbler slip in the cow pasture to my hard left at like 12 steps. I had been hunting him for several days. Noticed he was about to step behind a thick briar patch I let him get behind it snd used the briars to open my pattern up.

Latest posts