Pike Co Illinois

Kyboy

Got an opportunity to go to Pike county October 20th-25th, got a pretty good deal on pricing because of some people backed out. I am usually a public land hunter first time with an outfitter, just looking to see if it would be worth it or not. 10,000 acres, be around 2000 after food lodging and tags. Just would like some input on these dates and if its as good as people says it is.

Kyboy

No its not this guy doesn't advertise. I know all too well about Whitetail Heaven, I had a 500 acre farm in franklin ky that I could hunt and they scammed the farmer into leasing it. I live about 30 miles from their head quarters now.

Boll Weevil

I hunted Schuyler county IL just to the north of Pike some years ago and despite the legend and lore, there just isn't a booner behind every tree. Not even close. Just an opinion but one of the fastest most certain ways to degrade a local reputation is to advertise and recruit hunters from the outside. Over time, high grading occurs in part because people who just aren't used to seeing a 2.5 yr old 115" 8pt keep bangin'away.

Opinion: That region of IL isn't what it used to be.

Kyboy

I hunted Schuyler county IL just to the north of Pike some years ago and despite the legend and lore, there just isn't a booner behind every tree. Not even close. Just an opinion but one of the fastest most certain ways to degrade a local reputation is to advertise and recruit hunters from the outside. Over time, high grading occurs in part because people who just aren't used to seeing a 2.5 yr old 115" 8pt keep bangin'away.

Opinion: That region of IL isn't what it used to be.
Thats what I was wondering...I could kill a 130 almost any evening I want to in Kentucky right now so its defiantly got to be a 150 or better before I'll sling an arrow up there. Torn on the decision got to decide by tomorrow. Guy only takes 20 hunters per year so that is a positive.

Boll Weevil

I could kill a 130 almost any evening I want to in Kentucky right now so its defiantly got to be a 150 or better before I'll sling an arrow up there.
I hunted there 3 years and never saw anything that even made me pick up my binoculars, bow, or gun. We kill as big or bigger right here at home. Could you maybe get a crack at a 200 incher? Sure. My advice is simply focused on expectations...it's easy to think "Pike county IL = cover of North American Whitetail."

Best of luck to you if you go.

scn

Insist on the outfitter giving you some phone numbers of 2021 hunters that were both successful and unsuccessful. A polite phone call to the previous hunters can usually tell you if the outfitter is legit.

There are some great outfitters up there. But, there are others where the "guides" end up in the hot stands every day and the paying hunters are just put in a tree. You won't know unless you do some research.

I hunted one of the "lesser" IL counties on DIY for almost 20 years due to a blessed relationship I have with a farming family. It wasn't Pike Co, but there certainly was not a booner behind every tree. My little group killed some booners over the years, but I can probably count on less than both hands the number of 160+ deer that I saw during those decades. You will likely see the 130 class deer you are use to seeing.

But, it is always special to try a new place and have the anticipation going in!! Good luck if you go.

Last edited:

scn

And, where I was hunting in south central IL, that was not a time period that the big deer were really up on their feet. Our Pre-rut period seemed to start around Halloween, and the buck activity continued to grow right up to their gun season. It may be in the Pre-rut roaming period for over in Pike.

I know from a recent conversation with my farmer friend that he is looking at having a later harvest this year due to a very wet spring that delayed getting the crops in the ground. I don't think he will have his corn cut until early November this year at the earliest.

Until the corn gets cut, deer sightings can be slim. It is amazing how much time they spend out in the corn fields.

Ski

It's been my experience in life that when somebody offers me a "good deal" because somebody else balked, and I only have a minute to decide, it's a bright red flag.

Otherwise, I have no advice for you. It's not my habit to tell another man how to spend his money. But if you do go, I hope you you'll report back here about your experience.

Kyboy

It's been my experience in life that when somebody offers me a "good deal" because somebody else balked, and I only have a minute to decide, it's a bright red flag.

Otherwise, I have no advice for you. It's not my habit to tell another man how to spend his money. But if you do go, I hope you you'll report back here about your experience.
Haha trust me I know I thought the same, guy seems to be pretty legit from pics and stuff though. But I can show anyone pics of dead deer and trail cam pics of big deer and tell them they was on this particular farm but be the next county over.

Chiflyguy

Seems a little early.
Rut up here usually starts in November.
I wouldn't give this crap hole state $400.00 for tags.

DMD

I hunted in Illinois one time. It was a lifelong dream for me. It was not in the Pike County area. Went with my long time hunting partner. It was a semi-guided hunt. It was definitely on the cheap - I think I paid $500 and that included lodging and some food :D. The kid guiding me told me to "hunt till about 8:30 am and then go back out about 30 minutes before dark". He had a ladder stand set up on a cornfield and a blind on a trail leading to the cornfield. I told him, I would hunt all day and I was going to take my climbing stand and find a place. He said that I was crazy, "deer don't move all day around here". I set up in my climber in some hardwoods between the corn field and a grown up thicket. I saw deer all day long. Saw a 140" buck, and blew a chance at a shot on a deer that probably was 170" or better. Biggest body deer I'd ever seen. As well as biggest rack. We hunted 5 days. Neither of us got anything, but I wouldn't take anything for memories and stories that I took home with me.

Kyboy

Spend those 5 full days in a tree in Ky, don't cheat and go home for lunch, and I'll bet you you'll see a shooter.
I'm not worried about Kentucky, I hunt great private land here. It would just be for the experience of an outfitter and to get away from work for a week. Shooting a deer is a bonus but would most defiantly prefer to shoot one.

Kyboy

Seems a little early.
Rut up here usually starts in November.
I wouldn't give this crap hole state $400.00 for tags.
Yeah I figured that, last few weeks of October are my favorite, usually home body deer are on their feet and moving in daylight, and some what predictable if I can lay eyes on them.

The 400 dollar tags is a hard pill to swallow. But I do get a chance to go back in December and January to hunt if not successful.

Kyboy

Moral of the post was to see if any of y'all had been up in that area in the recent years to see if it was still as good as it once was.

Latest posts