Picked up a P/T job

Deck78

Re: Picked up a P/T job

So cool man! Ive been off the forum for a while and havent seen any new gocarnivore posts on IG and then I figure out youve become an old world butcher. Solid!

DntBrnDPig

I have been obsessed with beef short ribs as of late. I think the last dozen times I've fired up the smoker its been for short ribs... If I ever get tired of technology - this looks like it is right down my alley.

Are you able to share your recipe for brats? What about italian sausage? Being from Chicago these are things I miss... well that and Portillos.

Buzzard Breath

Poser":2wk642gb said:
Broke down a lamb today. It looks almost exactly like a deer.

49958c667b4cfb23581831450bfa4c6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You aren't kidding. That looks like a deer carcass on the counter. It's crazy that it even smells the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crosshairy

Poser":372ktqu1 said:
Well, all things come to pass. There had been a bit of a "difference of philosophies" fight brewing for sometime at this gig, though it took me awhile to pick up on this dynamic, mainly because the dept manager was on vacation when I started and then The butcher went on vacation as soon as he got back. I wasn't even accurately aware of who my boss was. With a sudden change of management, the balance of power suddenly shifted from creative, whole animal butchery to grocery store meat dept. in frustration, the artisanal butcher up and quit late one night last week via text message. I returned to work to find a completely different environment. The whole animal orders were cancelled. The restaurant clients were dropped. I was hired to butcher whole animals and make sausage. While it was tempting to quit on the spot, I put in my notice out of respect, but am riding these last 2 weeks out basically as a custodian, with daily assignments that include cleaning sinks, cleaning the grinder, band saw etc and slicing deli meat. I'm not cutting any meat. (Feels like more of punishment work than anything, but whatever). My replacement will be an unskilled worker at $8 an hour. Already got a call from a restaurant about doing their in house butchering, but probably won't do it at this time. I may or may not do this kind of work professionally again in the future. If I do not, I definitely acquired a serious set of skills in a short period of time, which should make game butchering all the more enjoyable and precise. If I do this type of work again, it will have to be the right kind of environment with an appropriate level of creativity and emphasis on quality work. As far as skilled labor goes, a person can put their time in at a major grocery store chain as a meat cutter and make upwards of $30 an hour + benefits, though the work is largely mundane and I'm quite surprised it pays that well. Artisanal butchery can pay very well, with some butchers making $100k a year, but those situations are few and far between and will often involve owning your own business. If nothing else, it's a good secondary skill to have.

Wow.... That sounds...ridiculous. I'm sorry you got railroaded like that! I guess smaller establishments are especially vulnerable to the broken dynamics from even a couple of people, but that's just crazy. It kinda sounds like "I don't understand what you do or how you do it, so we're just going to change things to make it more 'normal' looking".

Are there other places in Memphis that do this kind of work much? If you feel the need to not say openly while still employed somewhere else, I understand. I had been thinking about coming to see you about some sort of elaborate holiday feast idea for my wife's family, but I guess that will have to wait :)

Vermin93

Poser":ernq7o4r said:
I'm actually not hunting very much at all this Fall -have some big changes in the works.

Sorry to hear about your gig going south.

First you buy the crazy warm gloves for an undisclosed purpose and then you drop this note. When will hear about your new plans or at least get the next clue?

DntBrnDPig

Poser":2x1k1xvp said:
7d8eca17c6319f5f449c9b810b93a51c.jpg

I am planning on making some brats today. I have some fresh ground up venison (that I just froze this weekend) and am picking up a boston butt that has been ground for me by the butcher at my local grocery store. I'm going to follow this recipe and see how it goes. I'm used to a Wisconsin style Brat but I'm interested in trying the German style.

I plan on poaching them in beer before grilling them but my question is my family won't eat 5#'s of brats in one sitting. So can I poach for 10-15 minutes, cook what I want, then let the remaining dry out for a day (in the fridge), then vacuum seal and freeze them for later?

DntBrnDPig

Just as an update - I didn't get a chance to stuff the brats yet but I mixed it up (minus the eggs and cream) and fried up a little taste test... its delicious.

I bought the F. Richard 6" boning knife off amazon last year and have used it now for 2 deer and it is great. I'm looking at their sharpening rod now.

Latest posts