Picked up a P/T job

Crosshairy

Re: Picked up a P/T job

Poser":1g2hh04l said:
The butcher left for vacation yesterday, so, apparently, I'm running the show one week into a p/t job. Never done this much multitasking before. I'm smoking a couple of Tasso hams, 4 pork shoulders, keeping the deli stocked, making 50 lbs of chili and garlic sausage for a restaurant, cutting Porkins chops for another restaurant, cutting NY strips for the meat case all at once. After anyone of those jobs are done, I have 4 hog heads to break down.

"part-time", huh? Sounds like your time is full! :)

TAFKAP

Nice hustle! Are there a number of restaurants sourcing their products from that store? Have you had the chance to try any of that Berkshire pork yet?

farmin68

Poser, this is really cool. Learning something valuable from a professional while getting paid for it.

Do you know the source of the Berkshires? I used to raise hogs and I'm wondering if I might know the farmer.

TAFKAP

Pardon my answering for him, but I'm pretty sure it's Home Place Pastures out of Como, MS. The dude I've bought from before is Marshall Bartlett. I've gotten bellies, a shoulder, and some chops from them before...they're my #1 source if I can splurge.

TAFKAP

chunkandwind":1ybmx12z said:
Can you get uncured pork belly? I've looked all over around here and can't find a source.

You're in Jackson, right?

landman

My father retired from meat market at FTC, but learned most on the family farm

Waiting to see what you come up with you have learned

Wearing hearing protection running saw and grinder, cost my dad his hearing

chunkandwind

Poser":20mha8ji said:
chunkandwind":20mha8ji said:
Can you get uncured pork belly? I've looked all over around here and can't find a source.

Yes. We had two pieces for sale in the case last time I was there. We make bacon in house from the whole hogs and any cut or sausage is available by request -might take as much as 1 week to get depending on what day your request it.

Thanks. It may be worth the drive if I can't find any closer.

TAFKAP

Your observation may be slightly skewed to reflect the daintiness typical of the Mud Island royalty :D

What's the difference in a Coulotte steak and a California tri-tip sirloin?

TAFKAP

Whole Paycheck used to carry them quite a bit, but I haven't seen one in a while. That's a good steak.

BlountArrow

I agree Tree_Ghost, a lost art indeed. Think about how many people have no clue how to butcher an animal, can vegetables, or do basically anything that my grandparents and parents did on a regular basis. Kind of scary.

farmin68

BamaProud":2kuqihkl said:
25 bucks for 1 duck breast? Are you kidding me?

edited...wait a minute, that in't even a whole breast. 25 bucks for 1/2 duck breast.

$25.00 is nothing for a woman who will pay $3,500.00 for a purse.

DaveB

I bet he did, a spoonful anyway, like butter.

It would dissolve pretty good but the flavor would (to me anyway) be pretty strong.

Talk about an energy drink, woweeeee.

cowhunter71

Bossman let you keep the "hangers". That was always in my agreement with boss or customers. If I cut them out, they are mine . Hanger steak salt and peppered, seared in a hot cast iron skillet, served over a bed of sticky rice, smothered in real tomato gravey. Don't get much better to a true "Cowman". ;)

Latest posts