PI Doe hunt

catman529

Deer Assassin":1pdbiqrj said:
im getting old

i cant remember if i put in for it

i dont think i did spoon has a place lined up in shelby county i am gonna hunt
dang was hoping you'd make it out there this year. Did you not put in for anything yet or did you already put in for the draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid-Tenn

I would have loved to have gotten in on this year's doe hunt but was restricted on vacation time for that weekend.
I was fortunate enough to successfully buck hunt the island a few years ago so I'm not as concerned with hoarding priority points as I once was.
Maybe next year.

catman529

callemquacktn":13ebifv5 said:
I thinking going to apply for the buck hunt this yr just so accumulate a point but plan on hunting the doe hunt next fall.
you'll lose your points if you draw the doe hunt next year. Or are you trying to get a point so you draw the doe hunt for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usanglure

Hey Catman i applied again, did not get drawn last year...
I actually enjoy hunting the island....... close to home (millington)
good roads to travel to access where you want to hunt....
not much on the camping experience, over that many years ago...
love to get chance to photograph and watch big bucks, bobcat, coyotes, turkeys, hoot owls..........

UpperTully

docpoco":3k9bcj7o said:
catman529":3k9bcj7o said:
callemquacktn":3k9bcj7o said:
I thinking going to apply for the buck hunt this yr just so accumulate a point but plan on hunting the doe hunt next fall.
you'll lose your points if you draw the doe hunt next year. Or are you trying to get a point so you draw the doe hunt for sure?

I think he's just trying to guarantee a draw for next year

callemquacktn is due to be drawn for the buck hunt this year.

callemquacktn

catman529":3cl9d7mp said:
callemquacktn":3cl9d7mp said:

With 1 point going into next yr, I will have a higher chance of getting drawn for the doe hunt

usanglure

What i think sucks about the hunt is that you cannot gain points for killing each doe, which to me makes it a management hunt with bonus points then. alot of guys hunt just to see the bucks (not that , that is bad in its self) but this is supposed to be a management hunt to thin the herd.... but maybe just my opinion... :bash: :smash: :stir:

catman529

usanglure":2zqgelu7 said:
What i think sucks about the hunt is that you cannot gain points for killing each doe, which to me makes it a management hunt with bonus points then. alot of guys hunt just to see the bucks (not that , that is bad in its self) but this is supposed to be a management hunt to thin the herd.... but maybe just my opinion... :bash: :smash: :stir:
the warden told me they started with fewer permits issued for the doe hunt, and only a handful of people would show up, so they started increasing the number of permits (I think it's 100 now?) until they had as many people showing up as they wanted. If killing a doe gave you a priority point, a lot more people would show up for sure. But then it would be a lot harder to draw the doe hunt, and they would have to keep your priority points even if you drew the doe hunt, which isn't how the system works.

Mid-Tenn

This more than anything is a test upload of an image of the actual deer harvested.

This was a doe that I harvested mid day of the first day of the December buck hunt. I had questioned myself early on as to whether or not I would kill a doe on this hunt if given the opportunity. The whole basis of the hunt is as a management tool. I had decided if it was getting late in the hunt and the chance at a buck was unlikely or if the ability to harvest a doe was possible without interfering in the rest of the hunt then I'd have no issues with bagging a doe. It was the middle of the day and she and another doe and yearling walked under the stand at about eight yards. I watched them mill around for a while until I was satisfied that there wasn't a legal buck following them and that neither were in estrus. Shot was a high quartering down from about 8 yards which severed the spine and took out the lungs. Quick easy harvest which made me feel better about the drive down. That evening I left the "island" and a made a run over to the Academy in Olive Branch and bought a bigger cooler to hold the iced down skinned carcass. The next day I filled my buck tag from the same stand.

Attachments

• KIMG0416(1).jpg
    KIMG0416(1).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,060

Latest posts