Photoperiod vs Weather

Ski

I was hoping this cool weather and steady north wind would have made for an early shift this year, but it doesn't seem to be the case on the properties I hunt. I've not caught but one move-in so far & he's a 3yr old. Historically speaking, the magic day for my places is usually Oct 13th. That's when I begin seeing the big boys coming in for the fall/winter. So I'm not nervous .... yet 😟

When do yall see the shift? Is there a particular day that seems to kick it off? Mine ebbs & flows all season long but the start date is almost always October 13th. I reckon it is controlled largely by photoperiod, and if it holds true again this year with this abnormally cool early season, then I'll be all but sold that photoperiod trumps weather.

BSK

I always assumed it was a combination of photoperiodism and the weather that drove the influx of new bucks onto my place. However, last year I learned it was an even simpler answer. The influx is driven by the timing of crop harvests on adjoining agricultural land. When the farmers cut the corn - which deer love hiding in - the deer "head for the hills." Normally this process is aided by big acorn crops. However, this year our acorn crop is zero. In bad acorn years, it is our food plots that draw deer. However, this year our food plots are basically zero as well. My only hope is that, once the guns start going off, our superior cover draws deer.

Currently, we are not "late" in the total number of bucks that have shown up, but we are definitely behind schedule for the number of older bucks that have shown up. Because of the many years of trail-camera data I have, I can tell you on any given date how many bucks and older bucks we should have picked up on camera. By October 1, on average we should have picked up 14 total bucks. This year, we're at 18, so we're above average. But by Oct. 1 we should have picked up 7 older bucks, but this year we're only at 4. My one ray of hope is that last year at this time we were only at 5 older bucks, but we ended up having a record year for older bucks by the end of the season. Last year, the older bucks absolutely flooded in around Oct. 18.

Ski

Interesting observation. I can't say I've ever noted a pinpoint correlation to harvest. I'll keep an eye on things & see if I can notice the pattern you mention. I can't comment much on acorns because this year is a heavy drop on the places I hunt, much like last year was.

TheLBLman

Normally this process is aided by big acorn crops. However, this year our acorn crop is zero.
I remain hopeful for you that your acorn crop may not be zero.
Too many times I've thought that, then found out later in October, I had just had trouble seeing the little buggers in the trees earlier.

I love to be out on really windy afternoons in mid to late October :)
Great way to find those trees dropping acorns.

BSK

We shall see. I looked up in trees with binoculars and only found 5 or 6 trees with a few acorns. But there could be locations/set-ups that are better. For example, maybe oaks down in the valleys, where their roots had access to wetter soil, produced acorns.