Turkey vs. Coyote

JCDEERMAN

Others have mentioned the corn, but I'll add this- turkeys are very sensitive to disturbance around the nest especially before incubation starts. Simply returning to hang a camera and bumping her a second time can be enough of a disturbance to cause a hen to abandon that effort and start over
I've heard this. First bump, she'll scare off. But after the second bump, there won't be a third. However, after they've laid, and committed, I wonder how tolerant she is. I imagine quite tolerant unless you step on her

MickThompson

I've heard this. First bump, she'll scare off. But after the second bump, there won't be a third. However, after they've laid, and committed, I wonder how tolerant she is. I imagine quite tolerant unless you step on her
They also sit tighter the longer into incubation they get. Less willing to potentially disclose the location of the nest to a threat that may just wander by.

I once flushed a hen quail off nest 5 days before they hatched. She waited until I was astraddle and hit the inside of my pant legs with her wings as she flushed. I had no idea what had "aholt" of me!

This was part of a research project I was participating in so we were checking nest fate every 5 days and we showed up while the bunch was hatching.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

That was awesome footage. I frickin hate yotes.

She put up a good fight nonetheless.
Agree.
But at the end of the day, that corn pile seemed to be her death sentence,
and can be in oh so many ways.

Even if her nest had successfully hatched, a few days later she could have eaten a single kernel of corn that had developed aflatoxin, killing her, then all the baby turkeys quickly die as well.

Specializedjon

Agree.
But at the end of the day, that corn pile seemed to be her death sentence,
and can be in oh so many ways.

Even if her nest had successfully hatched, a few days later she could have eaten a single kernel of corn that had developed aflatoxin, killing her, then all the baby turkeys quickly die as well.
^^Ray of sunshine^^

🤣 🤣

I suppose, but I still hate yotes.

Latest posts