Persimmion questions

fourwheeler431

I picked up 30-40 of them at dads and stuck some of them in a flower pot. What is the likely hood any of them will sprout? I put the remainder in the freezer. How long do I need to leave them in there to help with the growing process?

fourwheeler431

All of these had fell from the tree in the last week or so,they were already Orange/purple. I could probably fill up a gallon size freezer bag with the seeds on the ground from the last few years.

BlountArrow

I've done this before, not with persimmons, but was able to keep the tree alive from a seedling for almost 2 years in a flower pot, babied it, and the darn thing still died. You might just buy some of those twig seedlings that I see in magazines and CO-OP periodicals. They are are about 18" tall at the most and fairly cheap, if I remember correctly, give you one heck of a jump on the growing process anyways - JMO.

HMHunters75

Persimmon seeds must be scarified ( the protective seed coating must be compromised by traveling through the digestive tract of animal or human. OR the seed coat can be perforated by rubbing with a pumice stone or fine sandpaper.) Persimmon seeds must also be stratified ( experience a period of cold temperatures for about 90 days as Stephen stated.) I have experienced success by picking the seeds from dried coyote and fox droppings and placing them in ziplock bags in the crisper of the refrigerator. My wife hates this practice and has no idea that the seeds were collected from animal droppings. I hope she doesn't read this.

TNDeerGuy

I pick them up from the fruit in the backyard and seperate the seed from the pulp and then place them in the fridge and then plant in the spring and normally have a 50%-75% germination rate each year. It is not neccesary to have them pass through a digestive system, or rubbing the outside with a rough surface from my experience.

fourwheeler431

I was surprised to see as many seeds on the ground and not a single has tried to sprout. Should I even waste my time with picking them up or should I just get the fruit that is falling,to know they are the freshest seeds there?

Latest posts