Penrose pickled sausage clone

Forvols

You guys remember the Penrose pickled spicy sausage..I loved those. Well the company was bought out went under whatever, years ago.

I found this clone recipe on line using lil' smokies for the sausage. I made a batch of it today. Now got to wait 10 days to try one.

Forvols

What you see in the picture was 5 of the smaller packs of beef lil smokies. I just tripled the brine recipe for that many.

Here is the recipe it calls for cutting the sausages in two, but I just stuck them with a fork:

This recipe makes a one quart jar of pickled sausage. Scale up or down as desired.

__- 1/2 cup water
__- 2 cups white vinegar
__- 1/2 tbs Ground Cayenne Pepper
__- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
__- 1 tsp minced Garlic.
__- 1 tbs dried minced onion
__- 1 tsp Paprika
__- 1/2 tsp white pepper
__- 1 tbs salt
__- Lg pinch all spice
__- 28 oz pkg Hillshire Farms 'lil Smokies, or other precooked link sausage, cut in two. (MUST be precooked!) Kielbasa sliced about 1/2 inch thick works also. Hot dogs just don't work.
__- Or, use to pickle Boiled Eggs!

Directions

1* On medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, vinegar, and spices.
2* Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes in a well ventilated area.
NOTE: when you're simmering the brine, make sure you have a ventilator fan running or a window and door open, the vinegar and Cayenne pepper boiling is kinda' hard on a the eyes! Almost like mace...
3* Place precooked sausage into a 1 qt sterile jar. Fill jar but don't pack tightly.
4* Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, If there isn't enough, add some vinegar. Secure the lid.
5* Let cool, then place in the 'frige. keep Refrigerated after opening.
6* Ready to eat in 5 to 7 days.

Link: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threa ... ne.258454/

Mike Belt

Waiting to hear as well. We used to buy them all the time but haven't seen any in any store for a couple of years. I just copied the recipe and am waiting to hear how they turned out before trying it.

Forvols

Snowwolfe":15b9e3w5 said:
How did they turn out?

Turned out really close to the original Penrose I remember. Next time though I will had more heat. Really good with some Ritz crackers and cheese. Texture is close also (not mushy). I ate a half a pint before I knew it on the test opening. I would say use the all beef smokies little better texture.

ETA: I also make my own smoked hot links. I am going to do some of those and then brine them in this recipe. You could also use Kielbasa in 3in pieces.

Snowwolfe

Made a batch and they turned out pretty good. Like the heat on the back end. I think good Kielbasa would have a better texture. Next time will do 2 quarts with Kielbasa and a quart of hard boiled eggs in same brine recipe.

Latest posts