Pedaling an Ebike?

OldFart

1. Just how hard is it to pedal an Ebike? On hills especially?

2. Will they pull hills well. I live in CO, so this is a real concern.

3. I am handicapped, so a trike would be required. Are trikes exceptionally hard to keep from turning over?

THANKS Ray

fairchaser

The mid drive bikes will pull most hills and any pedaling support is minimal even on the 750w. If you are certain you can't pedal you can move up to the 1000w and even front and rear powered dual motors. I'm not familiar with the trikes but I know one hunter that used one and had satisfactory results. Try to test before you buy if possible. You're welcome to come ride my bike. I live in West TN.

OldFart

Thanks for reply! Sorry, but i won't get to W TN before April at the earliest. Live in Colorado. Thanks for offer. What kind of Ebike do you have? Where in W TN do you live? I might could pedal some. I use an exercise bike regularly. But I have a problem keeping my right foot on the pedal. I have screwed a shoe on the pedal of my exercise bike(my idea) and this works fine but would think might hurt my foot if I fell on an Ebike. I would prefer a 750W as anything bigger limits what trails I am allowed on but may have to go the 1000 route. THANKS again!

Last edited:

jlanecr500

1. Just how hard is it to pedal an Ebike? On hills especially?

2. Will they pull hills well. I live in CO, so this is a real concern.

3. I am handicapped, so a trike would be required. Are trikes exceptionally hard to keep from turning over?

THANKS Ray
Your first 2 questions go hand in hand. Gearing is everything. Typical ebike gearing will require pedaling on hills. Steeper requires more forceful pedaling. Even a 1500w mid drive will require pedaling if it is geared like a normal ebike. If it is geared with a lower top speed, less pedaling is required. Anything numerically lower than 1.2:1 will require pedaling. The bike I built has a 1500w mid drive and is geared single speed. The ratio is 1.22:1 and I'm yet to pedal it, even on the steepest hills. It has a too speed of 12mph and can run that on trails too. My setup would be great on a trike.

OldFart

Appreciate the answers to my post! By saying I'm looking at 750 watts, I'm speaking of the federal requirements with 750W as a cut off. But if that wouldn't work??? Believe with 750W, I could go on any trail bicycles are allowed on but if I just can't manage?? The golf cart idea might work but would be too low w/out mods. I have heard of these mods. I feel certain I would not be allowed on trails though, just some Forest Service roads. I do hold a CO "shoot from vehicle" permit, don't know if this would change things?? Would depend on Federal, State Wildlife Areas, etc. rules. Any info appreciated! THANKS Ray

Hduke86

AD20A8DE-3F44-404E-9A35-A4C3EFFF4B30.pngIf I ever win the lottery then I'm going to buy you and @encore06 one of these. I don't have any idea what they cost but it's called Outrider Coyote. All electric 4x4 it's made for folks that use a wheelchair or have a hard time walking. I think they're around $16k so fingers crossed I win the lottery and I'm going to get both of y'all one decked all the way out.

OldFart

Appreciate the answers to my post! By saying I'm looking at 750 watts, I'm speaking of the federal requirements with 750W as a cut off. But if that wouldn't work??? Believe with 750W, I could go on any trail bicycles are allowed on but if I just can't manage?? The golf cart idea might work but would be too low w/out mods. I have heard of these mods. I feel certain I would not be allowed on trails though, just some Forest Service roads. I do hold a CO "shoot from vehicle" permit, don't know if this would change things?? Would depend on Federal, State Wildlife Areas, etc. rules. Any info appreciated! THANKS Ray

Last edited:

OldFart

Been running the gamut looking at all kinds of "ebikes". Recumbent, trikes, 4 wheels. All interesting but approaching confusion, Also have to consider maintaining "domestic peace". It's still fun seeing what's out there. Ray

Latest posts