How to properly title an ATV

Mescalero

There was a similar thread to this about 12 years ago, but my situation is just a bit different.

I bought my ATV a few years ago from a member of a hunting lease that I used to be on. I drafted up a bill of sale and still have that signed by both of us, including date of purchase, price, OD reading. He was the second owner. At the time he also handed me the title. The back of the title was signed by the original owner (who sold it to him), but nothing else on the back was filled out for that sale. I kept meaning to get my seller to sign and fill out the back of the physical title, but out of sight out of mind I guess and never got that done. I eventually quit the lease and have no idea how to get in contact with the guy who sold it to me. Now years later I want to sell the ATV, but want to do so the right way with a title in my name. I've tried calling the county clerk's office, but just get left on hold for an hour or more. I'm thinking of walking into the clerk's office to see what can be done, but thought I'd raise this question on TN Deer first.

Has anyone been down this road?

Spurhunter

Fill out the back of the title with your information in the buyer portion. The seller has already signed it. Nobody will ever know there was a 2nd owner because he never entered his information on the title. You'll pay taxes, get a new title, and be ready to sell.

Mescalero

Fill out the back of the title with your information in the buyer portion. The seller has already signed it. Nobody will ever know there was a 2nd owner because he never entered his information on the title. You'll pay taxes, get a new title, and be ready to sell.
I'm still thinking this over. Yes, I could do that, but part of me is saying wait a minute.

double browtine

☝️ Unless something changed in the last few years, you wouldn't get a title back from the State anyways. TN doesn't title atv's or boats.
^^^^^^
This

If you want to just give away money, then go title it. There is no need to do it though. Lots of times when someone buys them new, they are titled because it is financed and the holder of the note holds the title so they can have a legal way to repo it for non payment. Since it is not legal to drive an ATV on the road, and you can't get tags for it, I don't see the need to title it unless you want to just blow money.

If laws have changed then maybe someone will chime in with their knowledge on it.

Mescalero

Tennessee doesn't title boats but they most certainly title ATVs. I have a title for my Honda Rancher 350 that looks just like the title to my car and truck.
This^^^^

Since 1983 ATVs are required to be titled. If modified to be street legal, they must also be registered. The sticker referenced above is also required and is proof that the ATV is titled.

Remington700

I agree with others, you are overcomplicating it. I would just act like there was no second buyer and fill out the title. Really no reason to have them sign it in the grand scheme of things.

GUNNERX2

The dealer I bought mine from handled the titling and registering although it wasn't financed. I received the title and sticker a couple of weeks after purchase.

Latest posts