Peas looking good

megalomaniac

I was lazy this year... just no till drilled purple hulled peas in the garden to keep it from growing up in weeds... already have plenty in the freezer from last year, but might as well. Planted 3rd week of Apr. Have 20 tomatoes as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-200452_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-200452_Gallery.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 106

backyardtndeer

That's quite a pea patch, looks like they were broadcast rather than drilled. Someone is gonna have purple fingers for a while. Haven't done purple hulls in several years, wife and kids like zipper creams better.

megalomaniac

Looks good. Can you tell me what kind of drill you used to plant?
I just use an earthway push by hand drill.

Haven't tilled the garden in 5 or 6 years. Just mow winter cover crop (with lawnmower), nuke it with gly, then drill summer seeds.

Pick summer crop, mow in Sept, spray with gly, then drill winter mustards and turnips. I broadcast about 2 or 3 lbs of triple 8 in the spring and fall, and add all my ashes from the green egg to the garden. Used to put all my chicken litter on the tomatoes, but they coyotes wiped out most of my chickens.

megalomaniac

That's quite a pea patch, looks like they were broadcast rather than drilled. Someone is gonna have purple fingers for a while. Haven't done purple hulls in several years, wife and kids like zipper creams better.
I drilled them on around 10in rows so I wouldn't get any weeds or grass in between. They won't produce quite as much that close, but worth it to not have to deal with weed competition. Takes about 15 min to plant 12 rows. Easy peasy!

megalomaniac

Biggest aggravation down here is when the aphids hit the peas, it attracts the fireants. I usually have to spray them with insecticide just before they bloom to knock the aphids back.

megalomaniac

Picked a 5g bucket this morn, peas were a little smaller than normal planting them this close, but no weeds under them still. Just couldn't let them go to waste.

Still have a couple more 5g buckets to pick after it cools down in a couple weeks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-173451_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-173451_Gallery.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts