Something eating my peas!

Hardwoodmaterials

When my peas sprout and get 1-2 inches, looking like a pea on a green stick not even leafed out, something is eating the top off. I spent most of the day in the yard and haven't seen a thing around them but a handful is just a little stick now. Do birds break them off and eat them?

DaveB

You should see tracks in the dirt. Birds eat them. You will need a netting.

I would say snails but you can tell if it was them.

Hardwoodmaterials

MickThompson":3iamnk2n said:
Rabbits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not rabbits. The yard is fenced in with my rat terrier running around. I guess if birds eat them I will throw a net over them til they get some size on them.

WTM

if its rabbits they will cut the stems at a neat 45 degree angle, like you took some scissors and cut them at an angle. if its deer it will look torn straight across. golden finches will eat the piss out of them.

Nimrod777

I had something doing that to my beets last year. I was out there real early one morning and found some little cutworm having a snack. They'd dig in to the soil and hide during the heat of the day, and feast in the early and late hours. Might be worth dusting the plants and seeing if that does the trick, or at least check them thoroughly early and late.

Hardwoodmaterials

Nimrod777":241oibfr said:
I had something doing that to my beets last year. I was out there real early one morning and found some little cutworm having a snack. They'd dig in to the soil and hide during the heat of the day, and feast in the early and late hours. Might be worth dusting the plants and seeing if that does the trick, or at least check them thoroughly early and late.
It was cutworms. They were just cutting the stem in half. I covered the garden in some stuff for them and it stopped them overnight.

Latest posts