Passing on Gobblers

wkyhunter

How many pass on birds to continue hunting?
Some of the best seasons for me have been killing a bird opening day. Being able hunt much of the rest of season and finally killing the last bird on close to the last day.

megalomaniac

LOL, passed up 2 yesterday and 2 more today. Didn't even carry a gun either trip. I just love to beat them, don't care if I kill them.

Been in the woods from 5a till 5p the past 4 days, having the time of my life.

I found another candidate for tag #2 this morn.... sneaky SOB. gobbled 1 time on the limb before daybreak. I hauled ass 500y to 60y from him on the limb, and he stayed silent. His hen tree yelped 80y away and he just drummed on the limb. His hen flew down and left him alone on the limb, then he gobbled 7 or 8 times. I watched him on the limb and he's got decent spurs. Just as he was getting antsy on the limb, I clucked to him twice. He pitched down 50y away and drummed. Then walked up the hill silent away from me. Gobbled again 200y away. Hes in the middle of 1000ac, so I think he will still be alive for a rematch late May. He beat me twice last year, so I have some history with him... its not personal yet, but if he beats me my next trip up, 2025 will be all about that 1 bird.

PalsPal

but if #2 plays the game I'm not passing him just to keep hunting.

That's the key for me.

I will not end my season on a bird that just shows up silent. I want to be able to remember the hunt in the months to come, and if I don't have the adrenaline rush during the hunt, then I'm sure not going to remember it.

scn

I passed on a little adult bird on Monday that only gobbled once before he came by. It wasn't a hunt I wanted to end my year with. I am perfectly content to end up with the one bird that did put on a show for me.

With a three bird limit, he might have been toted out. I think the agency fails to recognize just how much trigger restraint the two bird limit brings to ETHICAL and LEGAL turkey hunters.

TheLBLman

I think the agency fails to recognize just how much trigger restraint the two bird limit brings to ETHICAL and LEGAL turkey hunters.
For certain.
2 bird limit saves an untold number of birds, as many hunters will end their season with 1 instead of 2.

IMO, 2 is the perfect limit for turkeys now here in TN, all things considered.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I don't get to hunt enough to pass any. Even when I did have more time I never passed one either. Back in Indiana, that has one bird limit, I killed my bird opening morning three years in a row and 7 out of 9 years at one point. A few of those years I got to stay hunting with my buddy from college, but mostly it was one and done.

cm1021

I have become selective in the past few years. First bird falls. Second bird I try to hunt a specific bird. Got my first one down yesterday and he made me work for him.

There's a specific bird I'm gonna try to go after now. He's got a super long beard and good spurs. I've gotten a good look at him 3 times now. I REALLY hope he'll play the game and I don't just ambush him.

I've started letting birds that I either sneak up on or bump into walk. If they come in silent, it's still getting rolled. As long as I feel like I called the bird in, he's going home with me.