Overton Co Hunting (Hilham)

RIdeerhunter

I will be traveling down during November to hunt on a family friends property in the area? Just wondering the quality of the hunting in this area of TN as no one currently hunts the property. Hoping to shoot my first TN whitetail. Thank you in advance for any input.

Jcalder

Depends on the area. There's pockets of deer but I wouldn't say there's there plenty either. It's not like west Tn. But if you're patient, and have the area you could find some decent bucks to hunt.

RIdeerhunter

Coming from RI with a deer herd of under 20,000 and where a good buck is around 110"-115". Probably anywhere is the US is better than RI in term of hunting.

killingtime 41

Depends on if there's any deer on your family's friends property. It's not like some paradise where deer are all over the place.Big tracks of land in the eastern parts of TN hold very little deer. Like sitting for days and not seeing a doe. West Tn holds most of the deer population. With pockets here and there in the east being moderate in population. So keep in mind 110 to 115 would be a big buck in TN also. With most not even scoring that. Anything over would be the exception

Gronkmonster

I will be traveling down during November to hunt on a family friends property in the area? Just wondering the quality of the hunting in this area of TN as no one currently hunts the property. Hoping to shoot my first TN whitetail. Thank you in advance for any input.
Good luck hunting in TN this fall. My sister went to URI about 33 years ago

JCDEERMAN

Depends on the area. There's pockets of deer but I wouldn't say there's there plenty either. It's not like west Tn. But if you're patient, and have the area you could find some decent bucks to hunt.
Agreed on pockets holding plenty. I actually hunt 3 leases spread out over that area. Each one has plenty of deer. Actually have killed two 130+" deer off 2 of those properties the last 3 years. But yes, one of them hasn't produced anything for anyone in years, other than does

huvrman

My profile pic is of a deer I shot 20 miles from hilham. Twra scored it at 174.5. Have also taken plenty of nice 8s over the years. I've lived in the area for 10 years. There are big deer in the area, though closer to dale hollow lake. Not alot of ag in the area. Just woods, acorns, and deep deep hollows on corps land they can hang out in and never be seen. Rut activity starts early Nov. First scrape appeared on my property Nov 4th last year. First buck killed 10 Nov, second 21 Nov (the one in the pic) One cruising and one scrape checking. 2 weeks leading up to Thanksgiving are prime.

Attachments

• 9411.jpeg
    9411.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

UTGrad

My profile pic is of a deer I shot 20 miles from hilham. Twra scored it at 174.5. Have also taken plenty of nice 8s over the years. I've lived in the area for 10 years. There are big deer in the area, though closer to dale hollow lake. Not alot of ag in the area. Just woods, acorns, and deep deep hollows on corps land they can hang out in and never be seen. Rut activity starts early Nov. First scrape appeared on my property Nov 4th last year. First buck killed 10 Nov, second 21 Nov (the one in the pic) One cruising and one scrape checking. 2 weeks leading up to Thanksgiving are prime.

I don't even score deer but 174.5? That seems off unless it was a typo.

Latest posts