overseeding a lawn

devo1980

Has anyone ever overseeded their lawn? I'm thinking about it for this fall, but have never done it. Any advice - time, amount, etc.?

Thanks
Devin

DaveB

I tried it. I had regular bermuda. I bought a 50 pound bag of winter rye grass seed and using a drop spreader overseeded. First I cut the bermnuda pretty low-not scalping but low. I did nothing else, just overseeeded.

Results were okay. I was expecting much better.

I think you still need to get seed in good contact with soil and unless you scalp your yard your results are not so good.

TAFKAP

Don't forget to rake that thatch out first. In a couple weeks, I'm going to cut my grass short, rake out as much of the thatch as possible, and Roundup the clusters of weeds. After the Roundup has dissipated, I'll mow one last time (and bag the clippings). I'll rent an aerator, throw out some red sand, then overseed.

DaveB

After my Wife spread 4 bags of Scotts Weed & Feed on my front yard and killed it dead, I did a bunch of soil prep and went with Palisades Zoysia from Winstead Farms.

Price was awful. Service was very good and still is, been a few years too. Price was awful. I think 6 times regular bermuda.

We put it down ourselves. The Temp was over 100 real degrees, there were what I call grass spiders by the hundred millions causing the ladies and some of the guys to cry and scream. I put a long sleeve shirt on and personally placed every last piece-front, sides, rear. I think it was 20 or 21 pallets.

It is green later into the year and starts green earlier. And it does spread. Leaves are a bit more fine, you can walk barefoot without cutting your sole. They are just as hard on lawnmower blades.

I cannot recall for sure but I think the Winstead guy nearly had a heart attack when I told him I wanted to overseed. At least that is what I told my Wife. Who wants to mow in December?

WG3

It depends a lot on what type of lawn you are wanting. Are you wanting a fescue, Bermuda, or other grass. If you want a fescue you want to aerate and spread your seed in late September or early October. Some lime and slow release fertilizer will help too. If you want Bermuda and already have it started in your yard, the best option is to aerate during the summer when Bermuda is the most active, since it spreads out better than starting from seed. If you have Bermuda and want fescue, we'll good luck because you can kill it all with roundup and it will still eventually comeback. All you can really do is fight it with yearly over seeding.

saddleman1

3 weeks ago, I had a spot around 100 X 100, spread 3600 lbs of lime, spread 50 lbs of 19-19-19, then disc up, then put 25 lbs of each rye, oats and Kentucky 31, then did a light disc again. Then I walked away had a green 100 X 100 in 1 week and still growing. Did all of this a day before all of this rain came. Probably more than you want to do though, good luck. Oh yea prayeed over it before walking off.

Latest posts