Overnight hiking/camping in TN

Rackseeker

I have been gearing up to do some hiking/camping when it warms up a little. I don't mind the cold but my daughters don't like it to much. I was wondering where are some good overnight hiking trails in TN. I really would like the terrain to be scenic. Any input would be appreciated.

Rackseeker

WestTn Huntin'man said:
What kind of shape are your daughters and you in ?? Many of the overnight trails can be rough if you're not prepared. Also are you looking for east,west ,or middle tn.

My daughters are in excellent physical shape. Myself, I wouldn't say excellent, but very good shape. As far as being prepared, I don't do anything unless I'm fully prepared. As far as location middle and east TN, northern and middle Ala., southern Ky. Just looking for somewhere thats family friendly. I just want our first overnighter to be enjoyable and scenic.
As far as distance, I'd like to start out sort of short and work my way up. We did a couple 10 mile round trip hikes last year to the Walls of Jerico, but not any overnighters. Since then I've invested in packs, light weight cook stove, sleeping bags suitable for backpacking, water filtration system, light weight tent. Alot of other small items.
Maybe this will be something they enjoy doing.
Thanks for the links.....

jb3

Savage Gulf is great. It's a large park with plenty of options. You can stay on top and hike the rim or take off and go down in the gulf, but you do have to hike back up.

There's a rustic cabin about 8 miles or so from one of the parking areas you could hike to and spend the night and then hike back in the a.m.

wayne

Check the regs before you go to Savage Gulf. I believe they require the use of bear bags now. Maybe they don't require the use, but I know they suggest it.

Tanglefoot

Lots of good hiking trails and primitive camping down in Polk county.
You can take the girls rafting on the Ocoee while you are at it too.

Latest posts