Our Dream Came True!

Speedwell-Hunter

Took my 6 year old son hunting for the second weekend this morning. He absolutely crushed one of my decoys instead of the gobbler on the juvenile. Hasn't bothered him at all! Destroyed me, but he had a great attitude about it. He told me when I got him up this morning that he dreamed we killed a turkey today. After daylight, we heard two birds about 150-200 yards down the ridge behind us. I called a bit and they answered. We waited a bit and called lightly again, they answered closer. Before long they gobbled about 60 yards behind us. I clucked a couple of times and in less than a minute we heard them spitting and drumming. Strutted right by us and gave him a 28 yard shot. He folded one with his .410 and I played cleanup on the other! Both had 9 inch beards, stubby spurs, 1/4 and 1/2 inch respectively, both around 19 lbs. He said "Dad, our dream came true!" He's flat out hooked! And I'm as proud as I've ever been. Greatest hunting day of my life.
P.S. He chose my picture setup. Not bad for a 6 year old!

Damn, that is a good shot:
1) he is 6 years
2) a 410 gun at 28 yd, WOW
3) No red dot used , a true hunter!

Union Co. Boy

Damn, that is a good shot:
1) he is 6 years
2) a 410 gun at 28 yd, WOW
3) No red dot used , a true hunter!
Like Meatloaf said "2 out of 3 ain't bad". He did use a red dot. He's proficient with open sights and regular scopes, but we chose a red dot for his turkey gun. I still really appreciate it! He really is a good little hunter!

utvolsfan77

Nice birds, congratulations to both of you! But the most valuable part of that hunt was the time spent together. Most folks just can't imagine what I would give to be on a turkey hunt with my grandfather, father, or my son's when they were your son's age. Folks that make a career out of the military very often sacrifice a great many things that most others always seem to take for granted. Time spent with family is usually one of the first things that gets sacrificed.

As others have already said above treasure the time spent together and passing traditions on to the next generation. Those memories will be relived many times when you're older with medical problems like me, and you can't get into the field as often as you did when younger. Congratulations!

Last edited:

Union Co. Boy

Nice birds, congratulations to both of you! But the most valuable part of that hunt was the time spent together. Most folks just can't imagine what I would give to be on a turkey hunt with my grandfather, father, or my son's when they were your son's age. Folks that make a career out of the military very often sacrifice a great many things that most others always seem to take for granted.

As others have already said above treasure the time spent together and passing traditions on to the next generation. Those memories will be relived many times when you're older with medical problems like me, and you can't get into the field as often as you did when younger. Congratulations!
Thank you so much for your service and sacrifice. People like you are the reason we have the opportunity to do what we do. I tell my son how fortunate we are to get to do things like hunt. I feel like I took theses types of things for granted when I was younger. I realize how blessed I am now. I'm glad we could share this experience with you, and I hope it brought you joy. I wish you the best and hope you get to hit the field more in the future! Good luck and God bless you!

Latest posts