Ordered a new sight.....Toxonics K955 magnified

pass-thru

I've been using a $20 plain Toxonics sight since I bought my bow 7 years ago. I had originally started off with a much more expensive Impact single pin sight....but I hated it so I sold it and got the cheap Toxonics sight which has worked well. For a while I had been struggling to find a good sturdy sight and this is by far the best in that regard that I have had.

The problem with it is that the pin is not bright enough to see deep in the forest during low light conditions, so that I become hunting-ineffective before legal shooting light ends...which right at the end of the day is the best time to see deer. I've not yet lost a monster buck to this, but it's just a matter of time. I have been unable to pull off shots on a few does for this reason.

So I figure this is my year to splurge on a new sight, one with a pin that will gather more light. Otherwise pleased with my toxonics, that's where I turned. Not really thrilled about dropping a lot of cash. So I start of looking on ebay, then check out some of the on line retailers. And that's where I found it....the new toxonics 5 pin with a freaking 3x magnifiying glass. But it's close to $200 bucks. About 4 times what I had planned to spend. But after thinking about what good rifle optics cost, that puts into perspective a little more.

With this sight, the pin sits in front of the magnified image, so you can see exactly what you're shooting without having the pin block the sight picture as badly. That's a tremendous bonus in my esteem.

I ordered it and feel good about it. The real benefit here is that it will lead to better shot placement and cleaner kills. I'll post a review after I get it and have a chance to use it a bit. If anybody else has shot it, I'd be interersted to hear your thoughts on it.

BigCountry71

you might have to get a clarifier peep since the sight has a lens. Also with a lens low light is gonna be bad. Seen this shooting 3ds when a black target or any target is in a shady area..

pass-thru

What's a claifier peep?

If the lens is a problem in low light...it's removable. Hope that isn't too much of a problem though.

JayMc

A clarifier is a lens that goes in a peep. Specialty Archery makes them. Problem is you have to buy the peep and aperature (screw in piece with lens) to make it work. It's about $35 for a set.

http://www.specialtyarch.com/default.asp

I shoot a 2X lens in a target setup without a clarifier. When I go to 4X I need one. Hopefully you'll get by without it.

pass-thru

Thanks. I fished around on Archerytalk and found some more info. Hopefully my current peep will work. Hope I didn't jump in too quick with this sight.

Latest posts