Opinions: If you could only plant (3) "shrubs"?

BlountArrow

Let's say you've got to plant about 1,700 "shrubs" this winter and you can only choose (3). Out of the list below what is your top (3)? I'd love to hear any supporting reasoning if you feel so inclined. The purpose of this planting is to provide both a hedge row/travel corridor for deer and provide browse/nourishment.

Options:
-Beautyberry
-Buttonbush
-Silky Dogwood
-Elderberry
-Hazelnut
-Shagbark Hickory
-Shellbark Hickory
-Indigobush
-Red Mulberry
-Ninebark
-Pawpaw
-Pecan
-Persimmon
-American Plum
-Chickasaw Plum
-Mexican Plum
-Redbud
-Sugarberry
-Shining Sumac
-Smooth Sumac
-Staghorn Sumac

treefarmer

Humphrey's County dry ridge top: Persimmon, Beautyberry, Indigobush. My Persimmon have thrived, Beautyberry has done well but the fruit is uneaten, and my Indigobush has done well but the seeds are small and I haven't seen anything eat it. I've tried Hazelnut and plums but they could't survive. I'd add white dogwood and crabapple to the list. Where are you buying seedlings?

BlountArrow

smstone22 said:
Do you have other options besides that list or are you nailed down to that list?

Due to the program I'm participating in I'm pretty much limited to the selections above is my understanding. I'd like to hear your recommendations.

BlountArrow

treefarmer said:
Humphrey's County dry ridge top: Persimmon, Beautyberry, Indigobush. My Persimmon have thrived, Beautyberry has done well but the fruit is uneaten, and my Indigobush has done well but the seeds are small and I haven't seen anything eat it. I've tried Hazelnut and plums but they could't survive. I'd add white dogwood and crabapple to the list. Where are you buying seedlings?

Interesting on the Beautyberry. I saw an article on the QDMA website and this was the #1 shrub mentioned for whitetail. I wondered if the deer ate the berries or how well they browsed upon them in general. I'm buying seedlings from the state forestry and I'm limited to the "Wildlife Species" but I've already called them and there are several varieties that are already out of stock or they never got any.

PickettSFHunter

BlountArrow said:
smstone22 said:
Do you have other options besides that list or are you nailed down to that list?

Due to the program I'm participating in I'm pretty much limited to the selections above is my understanding. I'd like to hear your recommendations.
. Understood. I would want to add dwarf chinquapin oak, Chinese sequin, and some crabapples if I could. On your list guess I'd pick persimmon, Chickasaw plum,and a toss up on the 3rd. Strawberry bush would be a great bush if they had that.

MickThompson

I like allegheny chinkapins if you can find them. They hold their leaves and will stay small and shrubby. It's a smaller cousin of American chestnut, so you get mast production. Dogwoods are usually browsed by deer and produce a fruit used by turkeys. Plums are great if you can find them.

DaveB

The hazelnut is an excellent choice. Everything eats the nuts and they are big producers in 7 years or less. Elderberry, if it'll make it through the winter, may be on your list. Lots of things eat the fruit.

I'd start by lining out the ones that cannot be included: Pawpaw & Buttonbush you need a wet area, Pecan, hickory & Persimmon are trees. Ninebark is out for sure, it is known to be poisonous.

BlountArrow

DaveB said:
The hazelnut is an excellent choice. Everything eats the nuts and they are big producers in 7 years or less. Elderberry, if it'll make it through the winter, may be on your list. Lots of things eat the fruit.

I'd start by lining out the ones that cannot be included: Pawpaw & Buttonbush you need a wet area, Pecan, hickory & Persimmon are trees. Ninebark is out for sure, it is known to be poisonous.

Good stuff, thanks. I had no idea hazelnuts began producing that quickly.

BlountArrow

Jarred525 said:
If this is a cost share, you can go back and try to get waivers to plant something different. The wildlife biologist has to approve it.

I'm actually waiting to hear back from my local biologist on what would be some other good options since he's actually set foot on our place a few times. I've already been given the green light on whatever he recommends basically regardless of whether it is on the "standard list".

DaveB

Some hazelnut information right out of the Burpee Catalog:

"

Hazelnut, Collection
Fall favorites are delicious raw, roasted and ground.
Hazelnuts or American filberts yield small, edible egg-shaped nuts, around 1/2 inch long, enclosed in brown husks. Nuts mature and drop to the ground in late summer to early fall. Hazelnuts are relished by wildlife and are superb raw or roasted, or ground into a paste. The multi-stemmed tree or shrub is ornamental, with yellow catkins in spring, crisp green leaves in summer and vibrant red to yellow fall foliage. Harvest is often 2 to 3 years from planting. Plants are totally resistant to Eastern Filbert Blight. Includes two varieties for cross-pollination.

Zone: 5-8

Height: 6-12 feet

Spread: 6-8 feet

Best of luck with your plantings

Jarred525

BlountArrow said:
Jarred525 said:
If this is a cost share, you can go back and try to get waivers to plant something different. The wildlife biologist has to approve it.

I'm actually waiting to hear back from my local biologist on what would be some other good options since he's actually set foot on our place a few times. I've already been given the green light on whatever he recommends basically regardless of whether it is on the "standard list".

Not sure if he will do it, but I did get a waiver to use the hybrid chestnut. I really like this variety. Got it from the state of TN.

BlountArrow

Jarred525 said:
BlountArrow said:
Jarred525 said:

Not sure if he will do it, but I did get a waiver to use the hybrid chestnut. I really like this variety. Got it from the state of TN.

I planted about 100 hybrid chestnuts last year and almost all of them seem to be doing well. They were pretty large whips too. I got them from the state last year but I think the state is out of them this year (currently).

Jarred525

Yep, I got some of them as well last year. They were really good whips. I potted mine and only lost one or 2 out of 50. Going in the ground this winter :)

Latest posts