Opening Weekend Forecast: Get Ready

AT Hiker

That's rough. I can't say I'm seeing anything much different. I'm still getting some buck encounters but I'm hunting real hard to get them. Cams aren't showing much this season.
Same for me. What has changed since this weekend is that Im starting to see lone does and smaller doe groups. Up until Monday it was herd after herd of doe/fawns.

Ski

Same for me. What has changed since this weekend is that Im starting to see lone does and smaller doe groups. Up until Monday it was herd after herd of doe/fawns.

That's exactly what I'm seeing. This morning is the first time I've seen an older buck in daylight since early October, here in TN. And not for lack of trying. They're making me work this year.

BSK

What I find REALLY strange is I'm getting bucks on cam in the background of different set-ups, but not getting them scraping. I've never seen that before. basically, in all past years, if they're in the area, they're stopping by every scrape they encounter! Not this year. They're ingoring them. Never seen anything like it.

Eno2407

Bucks never moved up out of the bottomlands into the hill country (where I hunt). Part of it is that a few oaks in the bottoms produced acorns while none in the hills did. Second, adjoining duck clubs have not flooded their impoundments, leaving hundreds of acres of standing corn the deer can get at.

In October, we only photographed 16 different bucks using the property (mostly yearlings and 2 1/2s). That's a record low over 23 years of data. So far, in November, only 19. Not a record low, but very low. The average over 23 years is 26.

Last year we had six 3 1/2 year-old bucks using the property during November, and 3 mature bucks. This year, just four 3 1/2s and one mature buck (that is just a giant spike).

Daylight movement has been VERY limited, both in hunter sightings and what I'm seeing on trail-cam. Scraping is minimal and rubbing almost non-existent.
This is exactly whats happening to me in west Dickson County. Hunted place my whole life, all deer in big herds sticking to bottoms. Nothing happening up in the hills or timber. 200 acres and a I do not have any scrapes or rubs. Proven stands are producing zero sightings of any deer.

Appalachian American

I'm following your camera updates as I don't run any. We pretty close to one another so thank you for sharing!
All my big deer activity is still at night. Had my best luck Monday with the heavy frost. Seen several deer, just nothing worth shooting. Did have one big doe, but I'm not after her yet. After today I expect it to pick up and stay up.

Texan11285

May your aim be true and your knife sharp. Best to all. I just moved here and been so busy with buying house, selling house, moving, and long awaited vacation that covid had delayed. But I will be ready next year. My saving grace is that I have a Texas Hill country hunt in mid December. Looking forward to the stories.

philsanchez76

Since I only have access to public I don't look forward to rifle season as much as a lot of yall do. It gets really crowded and the deer start hunkering down. Muzzleloader season is always my best crack at a mature deer but all my cams have basically had no mature bucks on them for the past 2 weeks, the very few scrapes ive found have gone dead and I've had no mature buck sightings. Plenty of does and always a 1.5 year old buck or two out harassing them. Starting to think I just suck! Good luck to all this weekend.

RockMcL

Starting to see more "outside" bucks moving though part of them may be bedding in three high pockets I have stayed out of.

I had to work on one of my springs a couple days ago and took the opportunity to scout the whole ridgeline 3/4 and down a big ragged U. Not one scrape worked even though big fresh tracks in some I made. Not one this year rub.

I did accidentally jump 2 shooters and a couple lessors in another area. Guy hunting next property over passed a few lessors today.

I took a heavy body buck today that was obviously looking for does but definitely not in a hot fuss. I would describe him as nonchalant. I could bring his tarsals in the house and the wife wouldn't notice. (Well, maybe, not willing to test that. I try to keep brave well separated from stupid.) Point being he wasn't demonstrating highT.

Just seems like they are a little behind...

Ski

Been seeing lots of chasing and one lockdown last 2 days. Big boy was locked with a doe yesterday morning and had his sidekick tagging along. Same again last evening. This morning the sidekick is alone and picking on younger bucks and following does. I saw a single mature doe all by herself browsing, staying 100yds+ away from the action. I'm guessing big guy was near but I couldn't see him. I'll sit a little longer.

BSK

Been seeing lots of chasing and one lockdown last 2 days. Big boy was locked with a doe yesterday morning and had his sidekick tagging along. Same again last evening. This morning the sidekick is alone and picking on younger bucks and following does. I saw a single mature doe all by herself browsing, staying 100yds+ away from the action. I'm guessing big guy was near but I couldn't see him. I'll sit a little longer.
Is this normal timing for your area Ski?

Ski

Is this normal timing for your area Ski?

Yeah it kind of is, but kind of late too. The lockdown is normal. I have a metric poop ton of does on this farm, and inevitably one or two pop way earlier than others.

What's not normal is the scrape activity that just started this week. It's a month late. I'm finding them in unexpected places too. One is in a cow pasture with no licking branch, and it's active! Still no rubs except deep inside buck bedding cover.

I'm in Manchester, an hour southeast of Nashville.

Jaahspike

I bet it will sound like WW3 on Saturday no matter where you are hunting. I think it might be a high opening weekend harvest due to the weather. I agree with all the processors being full. I have always done my own. So glad my dad taught me at a young age how to skin and quarter one up.
My brother and I process our own as well and it is very rewarding to take it from scouting and killing to processing and feeding my family! I know it's not for everyone but we enjoy it. Plus I had too many bad experiences with a local processor. Never believed I was getting my buck back