Opening day

Buzzard Breath

I'd normally be out there tomorrow, but I've got a big hunt coming up next month, so I'm still in training mode and choosing to spend time with my wife instead. Tomorrow we'll be celebrating our 17 year anniversary and since this is one of the rare few years I'm not missing it, we're spending the day together. Sunday, I'll be doing a weighted pack hike instead of hunting.

Buzzard Breath

I'd normally be out there tomorrow, but I've got a big hunt coming up next month, so I'm still in training mode and choosing to spend time with my wife instead. Tomorrow we'll be celebrating our 17 year anniversary and since this is one of the rare few years I'm not missing it, we're spending the day together. Sunday, I'll be doing a weighted pack hike instead of hunting.
Well, it's pour rain here. I guess I'm not missing anything by not hunting today.

DoubleRidge

Will probably be working on food plots and other projects on the property....if I bow hunt it will be the last two weekends of bow season...but the plan is to be ready to go for muzzleloader.

Ski

What I usually do early season is squirrel hunt with my bow. I'll have two arrows with broad heads and three with small game tips. Squirrels will be on the ground gathering and/or burying nuts so it makes for a fun hunt, and I scout along the way. I come across a lot of deer like that and for some reason they don't spook nearly as bad as when I'm sitting in a tree. If I see a buck I want I'm prepared but mostly I'm looking for freshly rubbed up areas where a buck has recently moved into from his summer pattern. Public land though. No way I'm boogering up my own spots lol

philsanchez76

I'll be out on the local public for the opener. I like to use these first couple of weeks to kill does in the easy spots. I killed 2 does last years opener. One on the morning hunt and one on the evening hunt in 2 different pieces of public. freezer is pretty empty so im mad at em.

philsanchez76

What I usually do early season is squirrel hunt with my bow. I'll have two arrows with broad heads and three with small game tips. Squirrels will be on the ground gathering and/or burying nuts so it makes for a fun hunt, and I scout along the way. I come across a lot of deer like that and for some reason they don't spook nearly as bad as when I'm sitting in a tree. If I see a buck I want I'm prepared but mostly I'm looking for freshly rubbed up areas where a buck has recently moved into from his summer pattern. Public land though. No way I'm boogering up my own spots lol
great idea!

Madbowh

This I'll have to try out, so much to gain from doing this with your bow and scouting

Huntaholic

There's a couple WMA's, near me, that open a week early.
Prentice Cooper WMA used to open a week early years ago, back when I was still eat up with it lol. WAAAYYYYY back then I had a camper and the wife and I decided that we, along with her aunt and my 2 sons, would go to the Aquarium in Chattanooga. Well they went to the big fish bowl, I went deer hunting instead. 1st day I hit the woods before daylight and they headed for the fish bowl. When we all got back to camp that night I told my wife: "theres only 3 deer on this whole dang WMA!" After a moments pause I told her "but now theres only 2 because I killed one of them!"

Unfortunately that is illegal.

Latest posts