Opening Weekend Forecast: Get Ready

TboneD

Back to East Tn public land. Who knows what will happen but that's why it's hunting. Looking forward to the temps. Not looking forward to packing the extra layers in for the morning sit.
I'm with you. My Michelin man jacket really keeps me warm on stand but makes my load so much heavier and bulkier. Guess I need to find a better mid-weight jacket and rely on layers more.

BSK

How so?
The deer movement is slow on the property that I hunt, compared to last year
Bucks never moved up out of the bottomlands into the hill country (where I hunt). Part of it is that a few oaks in the bottoms produced acorns while none in the hills did. Second, adjoining duck clubs have not flooded their impoundments, leaving hundreds of acres of standing corn the deer can get at.

In October, we only photographed 16 different bucks using the property (mostly yearlings and 2 1/2s). That's a record low over 23 years of data. So far, in November, only 19. Not a record low, but very low. The average over 23 years is 26.

Last year we had six 3 1/2 year-old bucks using the property during November, and 3 mature bucks. This year, just four 3 1/2s and one mature buck (that is just a giant spike).

Daylight movement has been VERY limited, both in hunter sightings and what I'm seeing on trail-cam. Scraping is minimal and rubbing almost non-existent.

BSK

Below is a graph of the number of unique older (2 1/2+) bucks we've inventoried on trail-camera for each month of the fall from 2009 until this year. The average over that time for each month, as well as the minimum and maximum number for each month are indicated by the lines, and the purple bars are the number for this year. This year, our September numbers matched the record low. October was only 1 above the record low. So far in November, we're matching the record low. Just been a terrible year.

Attachments

• MonthlyOlderBucks.jpg
    MonthlyOlderBucks.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 56

Ski

Below is a graph of the number of unique older (2 1/2+) bucks we've inventoried on trail-camera for each month of the fall from 2009 until this year. The average over that time for each month, as well as the minimum and maximum number for each month are indicated by the lines, and the purple bars are the number for this year. This year, our September numbers matched the record low. October was only 1 above the record low. So far in November, we're matching the record low. Just been a terrible year.

That's rough. I can't say I'm seeing anything much different. I'm still getting some buck encounters but I'm hunting real hard to get them. Cams aren't showing much this season.

Latest posts