Only does?

RedDawg

Me and my neighbor took over a few hundred acres and have been managing for quality deer the last couple of years. I know that isn't a long time but based upon the deer we were seeing the first couple of years of hunting and passing on some critters I'd say from the some recent photos that we're starting to make progress.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/199 ... DC2692.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/199 ... DC2693.jpg

We also have lots and lots of small bucks around. More than I've ever seen on this place. We're just hoping a few good ones stick around until black powder season.

RedDawg

The biggest thing is that it is no longer the place where the locals go to trespass and 'shoot if it moves'.

Second, we have consistent food sources. We have about 10% of the land in food plots and the clover has done really well. We won't do any more however as it leads to the last point.

We improved (and are improving) the cover. There are certain areas we don't go into. And we have planted some screens and privacy barriers.

It's too early to tell but the deer I'm seeing this year far surpass what we've seen the last three years.

Hunter 257W

I've experienced the same thing since I began putting up cameras back in January 2005. We would always have a bunch of skraggly looking forkhorns, and 6 points. I tried to help the situation by only shooting 1 buck every other year and it still didn't seem to make much difference until the last few years. We ARE now getting some bucks that would score maybe close to 100 inches. They seem to be 2 year olds or 3 in the rare exception. I don't know how some of you guys are producing these big racked bucks I see in the pictures. I've never got a picture of even one 4 year old buck period in spite of running multiple cameras all these years. There doesn't seem to be hardly any hunting in the area either. don't know where they go. Aliens may be abducting my bucks just before they mature? :(

BSK

TS_13 said:
I pulled my cards, same does and small buck everyday and night. No bucks over 6pts. Anyone else see this on their place?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. What deer use a property in summer may have little to do with what deer use the property in fall.

TS_13

Its so odd, because last year I saw several good bucks before season. Sept 1st they all vanished! This year not a buck over 1.5yr. I guess its amazing to me that there is that much fluctuation in "home bases" .

BSK

TS_13 said:
I guess its amazing to me that there is that much fluctuation in "home bases" .

And for me, that's one of the amazing things trail-cameras have illuminated--the amount of yearly and seasonal variability in deer population and structure. Differences from year to year can be dramatic.

Although muddyboots made an excellent point when he posted "Move the camera." It truly is amazing how much sexual segregation deer can display in summer. I often find one site will be completely dominated by does and fawns, while another spot just a few hundred yards away will be dominated by bucks.

Hunter 257W

muddyboots said:
Move the camera. Its been my experience usually mature bucks are not around all the other deer this time of year.

I've wondered about that. Makes sense that they could very well be in the general area but not where your camera is. It is a fact that this time of year bucks and does don't typically like to mix. I have a spot in mind that I'm going to put another camera on this weekend. It had a bunch of buck activity right after deer season last year and is real secluded. Could geet pictures of bucks there that won't come to my more used spot.

Mike Belt

I don't ever recall having pics of mature bucks with does and fawns this time of the year. They may be around but won't start showing up until Oct or so.