Bucks before does?

LanceS4803

I'm very frustrated.
I am helping a relative manage a 400 acre farm. Deer poplulations are now very good after consistent harvesting of does and only a mature buck a year (150 class).
Last weekend the relative lets friends on the property with the same admonisment of taking only mature does or mature bucks.
Well, a young 8pt and two young 6pt deer were taken.
Their reasoning was that they always take a buck before a doe. Has anyone heard this backwards logic before?

bigtex

Sounds like they didn't follow the rules that were in place.
I don't think I would be inviting them back for a repeat.
Never heard the "buck before a doe" before. I don't understand the logic behind that. Sounds like an excuse to kill the first buck they saw.

GreyGoose

heard it the other way around.doe before buck,usually two does before buck.regardless the rules set were violated.are there consequences or fines?whats the point of rules,if there arent consequences?

megalomaniac

bigtex said:
Sounds like an excuse to kill the first buck they saw.

This

Amazing how much damage can be done to a well managed property in a weekend by the wrong hunting group. If you don't lose any more young bucks this year, it probably won't hurt too much in the future. But I certainly wouldn't have those fellows back again in the future.

If they own the property, just forget about managing it. Just isn't going to happen.

Hunt 365

megalomaniac said:
bigtex said:
Sounds like an excuse to kill the first buck they saw.

This

Amazing how much damage can be done to a well managed property in a weekend by the wrong hunting group. If you don't lose any more young bucks this year, it probably won't hurt too much in the future. But I certainly wouldn't have those fellows back again in the future.

Yep. The wrong folks can screw up hard work and patience in one fell swoop. I wouldn't let them hunt anymore if the owner is serious about management

If they own the property, just forget about managing it. Just isn't going to happen.

Florida Cracker 971

If that were my property that would have been their first & last hunt there. IMO they knew ya'lls management efforts & the rules. They didn't care. They figured they had a 50/50 chance of another invite. Either way they didn't care what the outcome was.

Latest posts