On fire in the cold

PalsPal

. I had to drop down about 900 feet in elevation, and go back up about another 900 feet. Wide open woods so had to be very careful about making the approach, basically had to swing wide and get on his level before following a bench to him.
Those who hunt relatively flat land have no idea just how much effort is involved to pull this off.

How long did it take to get set up on him?

Congrats on a well-deserved bird!

PickettSFHunter

Those who hunt relatively flat land have no idea just how much effort is involved to pull this off.

How long did it take to get set up on him?

Congrats on a well-deserved bird!
That's why I love to travel to flat land! Haha. I would say it took 30 minutes or so to cut that distance. Thankfully the bird gobbled early. I had the advantage of working a bird in there before where I made a lot of mistakes. I do train up before season to get in good enough shape to not need to stop going up those slopes.

First orda of biness

This gobbler was gobbling its head off this morning at 21 degrees. I was heading around to one of my usual listening spots, gave a owl hoot, and heard this one in a terrible to get to spot. I had to drop down about 900 feet in elevation, and go back up about another 900 feet. Wide open woods so had to be very careful about making the approach, basically had to swing wide and get on his level before following a bench to him. I bet he gobbled a 100 times which certainly helped. I got set up, yelped once, and saw him fly down and land about 70 yards out. I just stayed quiet after that, knowing he didn't have much choice but to walk down the gun barrel. That's exactly what he did, when he passed a tree I had ranged at 38 yards, I clucked, but he went behind a tree, stopped, strutted and gobbled. I had to give him a minute or three to clear the tree for a shot. Excellent hunt for early season! Got him right above this old moonshine still in a spot I had killed one several years ago.
Classic hunt! A memory maker.

catman529

Congrats, that's awesome. I thought my 300 foot down/uphill hike was bad yesterday, it was about a 50 degree slope. Love the old still

Latest posts