omega, optima, pursuit-----yalls expert opinions?

solodren

just wondering the pros and cons of these different guns.. from what I can tell they seem to be around the same price.. just dont know all differences.. If yall have some good input or experience please let me know.. thank yahhh.

Wildcat

I bought the Optima Pro for one reason, the 29" barrel.

Remember we're shooting black powder/pyodex/777. The powder burns INSIDE the barrel and that's what gets the bullet going at it's speed. Any time you see fire come out the barrel when you shoot a MZ you are seeing power burning OUTSIDE the barrel doing nothing for the bullet and you are wasting powder. The fire outside the barrel tells you the powder/bullet/primer/gun combo you have is not reaching max performance. You could ever cut back the powder and get the same results.

The extra 2 inches of a Optima Pro barrel gives me more time for more powder to burn INSIDE the barrel giving me the max performance I can get from the powder I use.

DuckBuster

TC Omega.... bought one this year and love it.. I have shot the optima pro and it shoots good but could not get it to group that well..

In the Cross Hairs

I just bought a Optima Pro , and sighted it in yesterday. I am shooting 150 grains ( 3 -50 grain )Pyrodex pellets , with the new 338 grain Powerbelt platinum aero tip .
It grouped excellent for me ......... I am tickled to death with the rifle so far. I will see how it performs in actual hunting conditions opening morning.

jakeway

The only one of these models I've shot is the one I own: CVA Optima. I prefer the break action, though I'm finding it is a little off-balance when cleaning it. (It doesn't weant to stay on the sandbags with the action open.)

If you like the others, and take the time to work up a good load, I'm sure they're all good enough. I strongly suggest you at least shoulder them and see how they feel. The Optima has a kind of weird-looking stock, but it fit me a lot more comfortably than the Omega.

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
I have the Optima Elite and absolutely love it! Feels awesome in the shoulder. It is a little heavy, but that helps with the recoil. I am shooting 2- 50grn. 777 pellets and 250grn shockwave spire points. The plus side with the elite is that all the extra barrels you can buy for it much cheaper than the encore.

TCounty Hunter

i am in the same predicament. i am going to buy a new one tomorrow, and i cant decide. its down to TC omega, CVA optima pro, or Traditions Pursuit LT.

all seem to have real good reviews on them, but there is some bad ones here and there on the optima. havent found any real negatives on the other 2. i went to sportsmans warehouse and bass pro, and BPro was adiment about sticking with USA made guns, and highly recommended the TC omega or triumph. i told him i thought i was going to get the CVA optima, and he did all but call me stupid, so i dont know what i am going to do.

The traditions is also Spain made like the CVA, but wally has a camo/nickel one traditions pursuit lt for $239, and i am real tempted. They have a black/bleu TC omega for $298, which is a good buy also, but i really wanted to get a camo/nickel one, and they are out of them.

FallRutSpringStrut

I shoot the Optima Pro in .45 caliber. Iam using 100 grains of pyrodex and a 200 grain Hornady SST bullet. This seems to be a awesome load. Seem people think is to light of a load but it preforms great. I have killed deer at 20 yards and out to 140 yards with no problem at all. I would not hesitate to take a 200 hundred yard shot with this load. I shot this gun with alot of different load combinations before I found one that worked for me. I encourge everyone to shoot alot of different loads until they find one they are confident in.

Wildcat

jakeway said:
TCounty Hunter said:
...he did all but call me stupid, so i dont know what i am going to do...

Don't let that "salesman" influence you too much...sounds like he's the one who's full of crap.

I agree. You have to remember sometimes the salesmen are told to push another brand. I've seen it too many times. I use to spend a lot of time in the outdoor stores and one day the salesmen would push one brand but several months later the same salesmen would bw pushing another brand.

TCounty Hunter

ok, i just bought the Omega, black on stainless. I am pretty pleased. cant wait to test it out. keep us updated on what you get solodren and how you like it.

solodren

hey appreciate all the advice currently I have a wolf but want to upgrade to a longer barrel with more range, just a better gun in general , going to wait to end of year sells.. Hey fellas noticed that most of you shoot 100 grains ,, you dont think the 150 grains is the way to go what are the pros and cons about that. seems that would be the way to go if your gun could handle it..

TCounty Hunter

Re: omega, optima, pursuit-----yalls expert opinio

yeah, i agree stove. i ended up getting the omega, but i still am not skeered of that optima pro. the TC omega black/stainless was $339, i didnt think that was too darn bad, so i spent the extra.

i think the CVA's used to be a lot worse than they are now. They are making better guns/barrels than they were it seems. i asked the guy at sportsmans warehouse what their hottest seller was, he handed me the CVA kodiak, $139. Said we sell them all day

HenryCohunter

Re: omega, optima, pursuit-----yalls expert opinio

I ran into a salesman at BPS in memphis that was so rude that he made me leave the store so i didnt tell his manager he was an ass... i went in to look at the CVA and all he did was badmouth it and tell me i was stupid if i bought one... i dont have 700 dollars right now to spend on a muzzleloader but i do have 300..and i like the cva and its breakover style.probally shoulda made a bigger fuss but i was tired and not into making a scene

Latest posts