Old Skool

Iglow

Here's what's going with me opening day. I'm sick to death of modern hunting. Anybody else stepping back in time this year?

Attachments

• A67C7CD7-E934-420A-83DF-54C3043B4126.jpeg
    A67C7CD7-E934-420A-83DF-54C3043B4126.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 149

Gobble4me757

Love that! I mean I don't hunt with a blind/decoys and have called up turkeys with my natural mouth…don't use an ow hooter to hoot, just have my over under, a box call, and my natural mouth for up close clicks and purrs. It's a lot of fun doing it this way. I love a diaphragm though as well so cheating there 😂

cowhunter71

Dave Owens shoots TSS. Would you say he is not a "real" turkey hunter?
Unlike you, and 95% of the rest of the tss cult, Dave Owens WON"T shoot past 40yards, regardless of what shells he is shooting. He is, in my eyes, an extremely "ethical" Turkey Hunter, and I respect him for that. He is a great caller and woodsman, as well as a "killer", sure 'nuff. Although his style and "code" are different from mine, I would still consider him the real deal. Now, the circus, he and all the copycat youtube commanders, have created on Public Ground they exploit, is a whole other argument which I won't get into.

deerfever

I have and old Lohman thunderdome slate call and use a mouth call made by a local guy. I accidentally smashed the back of the thunderdome somehow but the call has killed more gobblers than anything I have! At one time it was probably one of the cheapest calls made. Those calls a gun are all that go with me. I do carry a spare slate or two in my vest in case the thunderdome falls apart! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_130145401_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220220_130145401_HDR.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 24

Spurhunter

Unlike you, and 95% of the rest of the tss cult, Dave Owens WON"T shoot past 40yards, regardless of what shells he is shooting. He is, in my eyes, an extremely "ethical" Turkey Hunter, and I respect him for that. He is a great caller and woodsman, as well as a "killer", sure 'nuff. Although his style and "code" are different from mine, I would still consider him the real deal. Now, the circus, he and all the copycat youtube commanders, have created on Public Ground they exploit, is a whole other argument which I won't get into.
Dave has a US Slam, won world calling championships, and is arguably the best turkey hunter on the planet, but those accomplishments pale in comparison to his greatest: He got the Cowhumper71 Seal of Approval.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have and old Lohman thunderdome slate call and use a mouth call made by a local guy. I accidentally smashed the back of the thunderdome somehow but the call has killed more gobblers than anything I have! At one time it was probably one of the cheapest calls made. Those calls a gun are all that go with me. I do carry a spare slate or two in my vest in case the thunderdome falls apart! Lol
I have dented thunderdome call as well, not as bad as yours. That call will pull a gobble when nothing else will.

megalomaniac

For some reason, means of hunting has never meant anything to me. While I respect those who appreciate/collect calls from various call makers, they are just a tool to me. Same thing with the firearm... just a tool. I don't give a rats ass which hammer I use to hit a nail, and one of my hammers is my granddads old Eastwing (70y old).

What is EVERYTHING to me is the experience of the hunt itself, the respect shown toward the animal during the chase, hunting fairly, outsmarting the bird (not ambushing), choosing the right set up, and then ultimately knowing I made him go against his nature (coming to my calling instead of the hen coming to him).

We didn't have ANY turkeys when I was growing up as a little kid, so this will only be my 34th season. My beliefs could very well change in the last third of my life... but most of the nostalgia I get from turkey hunting is not related to the call (I don't even remember what call I used on any bird I've killed) or the firearm itself. The nostalgia comes from the actual life experiences on the land itself (I can remember exactly WHERE i killed every bird I've killed) and the times I've spent with friends and family working the land or having fun on the land. That's what trips my trigger!

Latest posts