Official East TN Rut Report

hancockhunter

Im in NE TN and spent 12 hrs this weekend in a tree off a ridge on top of acorns. Walked in on one wheezing at me, but other than that I didn't see any deer. Ive been hunting the last 5 years and haven't seem to find deer or hit rut at the right time. Im planning on hunting the next 2 weekends so hopefully action will pick up. The terrain I hunt is on the side of a mountain right next to a river. There are no man made food sources on the property.

tarsalgland

I saw 10 does and 6 fawns this morning by 9:30. I was hunting hardwoods with little if any acorns in Meigs County. No signs of any chasing yet but boy is it getting close.Did not see any bucks today.Headed to Franklin County in the morning.

hancockhunter

The past 2 hunts I have been busted by smell, I believe. I am washing my clothes and storing them in bags. I can't figure out how they they smell me.

smalljawbasser

hancockhunter said:
The past 2 hunts I have been busted by smell, I believe. I am washing my clothes and storing them in bags. I can't figure out how they they smell me.

Your breath, sweat, gun, gear, peanut butter sandwich, deodorant, tooth paste. Get or make yourself a wind puffer and use it constantly. If they are downwind of you, they can smell you no matter what you do.

If they are upwind of you, you can eat garlic and smoke Marlboros and it won't matter.

MUP

SE TN here. I watched a spike show a little interest in a doe Sat morning, then just take off on his own. That evening, my cousin saw a spike and a 6pt, both feeding along with 8 other does. It just hasn't gotten started at our place yet, which is totally expected. I look for chasing to ramp up about this coming weekend, thru Thanksgiving week, dwindle down, and then lockdown the first and second weeks of Dec, with peak breeding occurring during those two weeks.

DntBrnDPig

I'm in Bradley County and haven't seen any chasing. Although I haven't seen any does either.. All bucks but none 'cruising' at first daylight and no big boys.

ERIC

My son had an eight point and a three point come by on Saturday with their noses to the ground. This was close to 10:00 am and he had not seen any other deer prior to them, but they appeared to be looking for does. He shot the eight point broadside at 20 yd. Also, my other son saw a really big buck across the road from our property Saturday morning that was out in a field by himself in broad daylight mid morning. He was on the move.

Winchester

Zero signs of Rut starting here yet. Saw 9 does and a 2.5 yr old buck Sun Morn over 3 hours and all were feeding intently.

morgancountry

Winchester said:
Zero signs of Rut starting here yet. Saw 9 does and a 2.5 yr old buck Sun Morn over 3 hours and all were feeding intently.

That's what we're seeing in Morgan County too. My brother hunted yesterday evening and watched a family group of does and yearlings on one side of a field and a couple young bucks on the other side and neither group had any interists in the other group. Rubs and scrapes are way down this year. I don't know how much food has to do with it, but I think half our deer have left the county to find acorns somewhere else, cause we don't have any!

hancockhunter

Nice Buck your son had there Eric. Good reports. Except for Eric it seems like we all aren't seeing much activity yet.

Smalljaw,
It seems the wind moves around so much. I guess their scent recognition is one of the reasons deer as so elusive. I guess I will just have to accept they are going to smell me if the wind directions are all over the place.

Latest posts