Not going to get better anytime soon

MUP

Screenshot_20240113-115500.png

DaveTN

This is the result of an offensive anti freedom goobermint.
We may have that, but I'm guessing they won't turn out to be the cause of this. I want to see something from Hodgdon claiming a 35% increase. This is greed from suppliers and retailers.

We shall see if I'm right or wrong.

Meanwhile, I scored a pretty good deal on primers last week from Bass Pro. Not what I would call cheap, but a heck of a lot better than they have been.

DaveTN

The Ukrainian/Russia mess is also largely to blame. Big percentage of components are being used for ammo to give away over there.
Absolutely. But that will change. Either the wars will end (both Ukraine and Israel) or the manufacturers will spend the money to add production capabilities.

I know they didn't do it before because they couldn't justify it, but I bet they have to be kicking themselves now, they could have made a bunch over the last 3 years. 🙃

Snowwolfe

$65-70 per pound and $550 for a 8 pound jug will be the new norm within a few months. Price increase could work to our advantage as less powder will be purchased and inventory will increase.
Might see an occasional sale but these new prices are here to stay.
Expect ammo to get really expensive real soon.

Last edited:

Remi

When I started reloading powder was $15-16 per pound and primers were around $20-25 per 1k. The current prices are hard to see. I'd hate to be new to reloading right now and have to depend on buying at current prices.

Lost Lake

Pretty depressing. I trust ammo and component makers and suppliers about as much as I trust politicians.

Like the last three years, looks like this one will see limited (if any) range time for me. Realistically, I'm well stocked enough for the rest of my hunting life. But, I sure ain't gonna be hitting the range like I should.

mr.big

Same thing from powdervalley. 8 pound jug of LT 32 is over 550$$$$ after taxes hazmat and shipping

I'm probably gonna shoot the UBR Tn , Ky and Va state matches and the Nationals and call it a year.
Last year I shot 15 matches. 2 barrels and 3700 rounds for the year , I can't do that this year

a new barrel blank and the components to shoot it 2,000 rounds is gonna kill the hell out of 2,600 $$$$$$$

DaveTN

From Hodgdon January 12, 2023.....

POWDER UPDATE 2023
QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?
While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

WHY CAN'T HODGDON MAKE MORE POWDER?
We wish it were that simple - what we have experienced since 2020 is a demand issue and not a supply issue. The reality is we are doing everything possible to maximize shipments to our customers, including running overtime in production, packaging and shipping areas and working with our shipping partners to add new inbound and outbound shipping options. During the past 3 years, we broke record after record for powder shipments. We learned what worked best in terms of distribution and will continue to maximize all efforts to maintain this high level of shipping.

WILL HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH FUTURE SPIKES IN DEMAND?
A new powder production facility would require an investment far beyond our finances and no financial institution would finance this type of building project. While the past 3 years of demand appears to be different from demand spikes in the last 20 years, the "normal" powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional manufacturing plant.

WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS?

Our focus is the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to strategic, mostly smaller ammunition manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers who are looking for powder to load in ammunition. Every day, we politely decline this new business so we can focus on our long-term customers and sales channels and most importantly, our costumers who have supported us for decades.

From January 25, 2021....

WHY IS THE PRICE OF POWDER SO HIGH ON THE INTERNET? We do not set sale prices or MSRPs for the price of our powders at retail, nor do we encourage any of our retailers or dealers to sell on auction sites, but we cannot control what happens after we sell to our traditional sales channels

Latest posts