UPDATE: He’ll understand better this year…

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
The sense of accomplishment that you feel when you kill a deer with a load that you made yourself. I had cleaned and prepped the brass, but he primed it, threw the powder, and seated the bullets on his own under my watch. I offered instruction, obviously, and setup and started things for him. 8 years old. Kinda cool if'n ya ask me.

6.5 grendel
Howa mini
Starline 1-fired brass
CCI450 primer
Tac powder
125 NPT bullets

Attachments

• IMG_2430.mov
    144.5 MB
  • IMG_2434.mov
    40.2 MB

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
How do you like the mini. And how does it fit him. Been debating on selling my upper and going that route
I really like it, but… he has no desire to shoot the AR any longer and has just about laid claim to this little thing. I will warn you that the factory bottom "metal" is the worst excuse for plastic bottom metal that exists and will break. I bought the DIP bottom metal and modified the factory mag to the flush fit configuration. I would have gotten the Jefferson hinged floor plate if it was available at the time, but alas.

It is very accurate and handy. LOP is still a little much for my 8 year old (almost 9 year old) but he is growing into it and used it last season and is using it well this year

Last edited:

Lone Hunter

I really like it, but… he has no desire to shoot the AR any longer and has just about laud claim to this little thing. I will warn you that the factory bottom "metal" is the worst excuse for plastic bottom metal that exists and will break. I bought the DIP bottom metal and modified the factory mag to the flush fit configuration. I would have gotten the Jefferson hinged floor plate if it was available at the time, but alas.

It is very accurate and handy. LOP is still a little much for my 8 year old (almost 9 year old) but he is growing into it and used it last season and is using it well this year
I bought a Boyd's AT-1 stock for my Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel. It has an adjustable lop and adjustable comb for the cheek. You might look at it for your son. You did right getting rid of the plastic bottom metal. The rifle shoots great but my AR in 6.5 G feels better. The Howa Mini feels too much like it doesn't fit me even with the AT-1 stock. Pretty sure I am going to get rid of the Howa Mini and build a 6x45 on aRemage build. I love to see it when a father is teaching his children to hunt,reload,or anything outdoors. Too many parents just want to electronically babysit them.

Jcalder

I really like it, but… he has no desire to shoot the AR any longer and has just about laud claim to this little thing. I will warn you that the factory bottom "metal" is the worst excuse for plastic bottom metal that exists and will break. I bought the DIP bottom metal and modified the factory mag to the flush fit configuration. I would have gotten the Jefferson hinged floor plate if it was available at the time, but alas.

The LOP is the biggest reason to keep the ar at this point. It's a Grendel but doing it over, I'd go with an ARC. My youngest is 6, nearly 7, but no desire to shoot. So I may be ok if I switched them out.

Tiny

Awesome there .. Well Done n Best of Hunting.
Some day he load yours..
I put together some for Uncle the other night.. Fond Memories all around..

Uncle J

The sense of accomplishment that you feel when you kill a deer with a load that you made yourself. I had cleaned and prepped the brass, but he primed it, threw the powder, and seated the bullets on his own under my watch. I offered instruction, obviously, and setup and started things for him. 8 years old. Kinda cool if'n ya ask me.

6.5 grendel
Howa mini
Starline 1-fired brass
CCI450 primer
Tac powder
125 NPT bullets
This is awesome!!!!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
@Jcalder , you should be able to use this picture for reference with my 8.75 year old son and the length of pull for the Howa mini. He's really grown into it. We were dry firing this afternoon, and I let him shoot 1 round to blow up a drink bottle at about 60yd. He centered it. Dry fired a little more and no flinch at all

Now, @Uncle J 's son is already big enough for a full sized rifle, I think. But then again, his daddy is a little taller than I am too
IMG_2441.jpeg

Jcalder

@Jcalder , you should be able to use this picture for reference with my 8.75 year old son and the length of pull for the Howa mini. He's really grown into it. We were dry firing this afternoon, and I let him shoot 1 round to blow up a drink bottle at about 60yd. He centered it. Dry fired a little more and no flinch at all

Now, @Uncle J 's son is already big enough for a full sized rifle, I think. But then again, his daddy is a little taller than I am tooView attachment 199164
Believe I'll end up with one. Is that the original stock or an aftermarket

Uncle J

Now, @Uncle J 's son is already big enough for a full sized rifle, I think. But then again, his daddy is a little taller than I am tooView attachment 199164
I maybe only slightly taller than you …. But am a lot fatter than you!!!! My bmi says I should be like 6'8" lol

Latest posts