Nose Jammer?

Shanman

I have seen it mentioned here before and know guys who have used it and liked it. Was wondering how many of you that have used it in the past plan on using it this season? I personally don't use scents and am having a hard time talking myself into trying it, but am considering it. Thoughts?

gobblesandgrunts

Shanman":2opaamm8 said:
I have seen it mentioned here before and know guys who have used it and liked it. Was wondering how many of you that have used it in the past plan on using it this season? I personally don't use scents and am having a hard time talking myself into trying it, but am considering it. Thoughts?
I've used it and honestly it smells like vanilla air freshener to me, maybe that's what they were going for and I'm totally not saying it doesn't work, but just really hard for me to spray that on before I go in the woods for some reason. I understand trying to have a natural smell I guess, but it's pretty strong imo

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Goodtimekiller

Ive used it and had several deer run like crazy when they hit my scent cone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nsghunter

Ive never used it and I'd say I never will. I've always heard from biologists that no scent is the best scent. Deer can process multiple scents at a time and that your scent can't be "covered" but other scents just add to your human scent causing more cause for alertness. They say when you use a cover scent the deer simply smells your scent plus the strange new cover scent. Therefore "No scent is the best scent." So i don't use anything that has a smell.

Remington700

I have never used it, but have heard of others using it. Most say a young deer that doesn't know better will be curious. Older deer know it isn't suppose to be there and leave the area.

fairchaser

I think something like Evercalm that smells like deer would be better. Once it gets cold, I use smoke which I believe does the same thing as nose jammer. It's so overwhelming that deer are confused. I do believe they can smell more than one scent at a time just like we can. But if you put a skunk under our nose, we probably wouldn't smell the fresh bread cooking in the oven. One smell overwhelms any other. I've had deer smell my smoke then get the jitters but then disregard and move on. Sometimes they will turn and leave but they won't blow unless they are 300 yards away. At that distance they can distinguish the smoke from the human scent. This isn't scientific but my own and others experience over many years. Use at your own risk.

double browtine

I have some, but mainly use it as a high dollar air freshener now. The does smelled it, got real alert, then took off.

I will 2nd fairchaser's recommendation for Evercalm. I have used it, and it seemed to work. I had a doe cross the path I walked in on. She stopped, smelled the ground, and stood there for a couple of minutes looking around for other deer I guess. I just rub some on the bottom of my boots when I leave the truck.

Wrangler95

double browtine":o7k9tbow said:
I have some, but mainly use it as a high dollar air freshener now. The does smelled it, got real alert, then took off.

I will 2nd fairchaser's recommendation for Evercalm. I have used it, and it seemed to work. I had a doe cross the path I walked in on. She stopped, smelled the ground, and stood there for a couple of minutes looking around for other deer I guess. I just rub some on the bottom of my boots when I leave the truck.

I use Evercalm also by rubbing it on the bottoms of my rubber boots!! :tu:

fairchaser

TheLBLman":2yvb7k7m said:
My thoughts are any scent that actually gets a deer's attention
makes it more likely that deer may then smell me,
as it becomes more alert, often nose goes up and it starts "sniffing".

That maybe true but I figure if they can smell the smoke then they would have smelled me. I still try to play the wind but not willing to go to the nth degree of scent control to think I can escape their nose if they get downwind. More times than not I've had deer smell the smoke, go on alert, then move on without spooking. Even mature bucks will pause long enough to get killed. They have all smelled smoke before without being spooked.

TheLBLman

fairchaser":epwbu56t said:
That maybe true but I figure if they can smell the smoke then they would have smelled me. I still try to play the wind but not willing to go to the nth degree of scent control to think I can escape their nose if they get downwind. More times than not I've had deer smell the smoke, go on alert, then move on without spooking. Even mature bucks will pause long enough to get killed. They have all smelled smoke before without being spooked.
Can't disagree with what you're thinking here.
Mainly just don't want to alert deer unnecessarily.

For the same reason you have chosen "smoke",
I have in times past often used raccoon urine.

But the only place it went was over 20 feet high in a tree,
not on the ground below, not on my boots.
Like with your smoke, SHOULD a deer smell THAT raccoon up in the tree (ME),
it's an aroma the deer smells often, maybe a lot more often than smoke.
That particular aroma and from where it's coming shouldn't raise the alert bar,
unlike some more foreign smell on the ground.

Best trick I've found for beating a deer's noise is to simply get as high as possible in a tree.
Bowhunting, your scent will often blow over close deer, and often dissipate enough not to spook on more distant deer.
Most deer are used to encountering human scent.
The main trick to not spooking them is for it to seem faint & distant.

fairchaser

TheLBLman":1bzmb7e5 said:
fairchaser":1bzmb7e5 said:
Can't disagree with what you're thinking here.
Mainly just don't want to alert deer unnecessarily.

For the same reason you have chosen "smoke",
I have in times past often used raccoon urine.

But the only place it went was over 20 feet high in a tree,
not on the ground below, not on my boots.
Like with your smoke, SHOULD a deer smell THAT raccoon up in the tree (ME),
it's an aroma the deer smells often, maybe a lot more often than smoke.
That particular aroma and from where it's coming shouldn't raise the alert bar,
unlike some more foreign smell on the ground.

Best trick I've found for beating a deer's noise is to simply get as high as possible in a tree.
Bowhunting, your scent will often blow over close deer, and often dissipate enough not to spook on more distant deer.
Most deer are used to encountering human scent.
The main trick to not spooking them is for it to seem faint & distant.

I agree LBL. The higher the better. One advantage to the smoke is that it's 100% coverage except only the knees up. I keep my boots scent free. But it needs to be cold out where a fire is a frequent smell. I may try the coon urine during bow season.

Shanman

Have enjoyed reading the comments and agree with all that has been said. I've always tried to be scent free as possible and am a firm believer in my old carbon suit, was absolutely shocked how well it worked but doubt after 20 years it's doing anything anymore. Lol I truly believe that by being as scentless as possible helps to keep the deer from aging the scent and thus keeping them alot calmer when easing away. Now a mature buck, don't believe they tolerate scent period. Brought this subject up because of tomorrow's youth hunt with the boy and knowing I will be soaking wet by the time we get settled in, thought the Nose Jammer might help. You guys and my gut says no.....thanks for the replies.

AlabamaSwamper

My personal experience with it has been actually positive. And I'm not a gimmick person but after testing in in Nebraska I tried it here. For two years now.

Not once when using it have I been blowed at or have I visually witnessed a deer spook downwind.

Had 5 this morning come in a straight downwind as they could and never once acted like they were on alert.

Just my experience with the stuff. Probably the only gimmicky thing I've ever seen IMO work.

gobblesandgrunts

fairchaser":2qzkruek said:
TheLBLman":2qzkruek said:
My thoughts are any scent that actually gets a deer's attention
makes it more likely that deer may then smell me,
as it becomes more alert, often nose goes up and it starts "sniffing".

I also understand playing the wind, but just how exactly do you manage to do that? Do you have so many cameras on your farm to know exactly where the deer are coming from all the time? Or just that many deer? I can pattern deer on my farm in the aspect that I kinda have an idea where they are coming from when the come to my mineral licks, but that's all. I have stands set up on trails as well as fields and I just never know where exactly they will come from. Just looking for some knowledge on this subject as well

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JCDEERMAN

Nsghunter":3uet5ebx said:
Ive never used it and I'd say I never will. I've always heard from biologists that no scent is the best scent. Deer can process multiple scents at a time and that your scent can't be "covered" but other scents just add to your human scent causing more cause for alertness. They say when you use a cover scent the deer simply smells your scent plus the strange new cover scent. Therefore "No scent is the best scent." So i don't use anything that has a smell.
Yep...haven't used scent in well over a decade

catman529

Nsghunter":2e75z6t9 said:
the problem with that is that it's virtually impossible to eliminate all your scent. Deer can smell better than the dogs they use to find drugs... outside of a very very thorough and strict scent control regimen, and/or a lot of ozone, you aren't going to hide from a deer's nose unless you keep the wind from blowing your scent to the deer. Cover scent doesn't eliminate your own scent, but it can buy you some time in certain scenarios and can even peak a deer's curiosity. I used evercalm a good bit, and while it's not a 100% guarantee, I've had wise old does come in suspicious because they apparently caught my scent, but then calmed down somewhat and started sniffing and even licking the area where I put evercalm on the ground level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts