North Dakota

PJones

Having talked to a couple of guys who have been (on first trip) I have a strong desire for a DIY trip to North Dakota duck hunting. Does anyone have any pointers or where to start (area wise). any and all help would be appreciated....

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Pretty dry up that way this year. Unless you have a working knowledge of where the deepest water was, you'll probably end up showing up to dried up former marsh even after e-scouting this year. Consider making the trip for pheasant and doing ducks on the side. Or at least have that as a backup plan.
Also know that some unposted private land is actually posted, online. Check that while e-scouting.

waynesworld

It may have changed but I was thinking ND was like SD and did not have to be posted. You may need permission to go on any non-public land. It is still dry out there so you may have to go to the bigger bodies of water. I am heading up to SD next week to Pheasent hunt aroung the river so will see how it is there.

spoonie

headed that direction for the 1st time with a couple buddies just has soon as they get there crops out, Not sure what to expect but will be a good time none the less

Grnwing

What kind of hunting are you wanting to do? Hunt big water divers, mix bag in a pothole or field hunt geese and mallards? The glory days of ND are in the past as the huge influx of non resident hunters have helped lock up land and seen more posted signs every year. This year electronic posting is statewide after a three county pilot program done last year. So just because its not posted doesnt mean you can hunt it. You have to verify with the app. That being said, there is still great hunting. You need to familiarize yourself with the public and private land options. When Minnesota schools go on fall break, you will have a blue wave of Minnesotans flood hwy 2 and 94. You have to hunt the current conditions, every year is different and the birds use different parts of the state differently every year. Last year, I was hunting 5 degree weather, and the year before we had 2 ft of snow and this year well be wearing shorts. Don't be afraid to knock on a farmers door but be respectful. Some will ask for a set dollar amount per gun others will show you were the birds are feeding and some will tell you no. It goes without saying, but be courteous and respectful to the farmers. Dont rut up fields and 2 track roads, pick up your trash and hulls and stop by at the end of your hunt to say thanks. You d be surprised how easily they remember who you are if you ever go back.

There is a set of locals that have a disdain for anyone who hunts the water/roost. Most of the time it will be the local goose hunters but its worth noting as it maybe tempting to set up where 10k ducks are roosting.

As with any hunting, scouting is key. When its light out, either hunt or be scouting. Not uncommon to put 3-5k miles on the truck for a week of hunting.

Good luck

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I used to go up there for years back the 90's and early 2000's. My mom and dad grew up there, dad in Minot and mom way up in Sherwood and Mohall. We had local knowledge and farmers to gain easy access and had good hunts every day, but even back then the big lease guys were gobbling up land. The last couple years we ended up going to Canada for half the trip. Have no idea what it's like now but it will still be way better than anything around these parts! I quit waterfowl hunting in Indiana (where I lived at the time) when we started to go up there because it felt entirely useless to hunt there after hunting in North Dakota. Killed a blue million ducks and geese.

paleohunter

North Dakota has been hit very hard with a drought this year. I'm in Watford City now and all the potholes are dry as a bone. I hardly see any ducks, but the geese are still coming to the fields.

paleohunter

It may have changed but I was thinking ND was like SD and did not have to be posted. You may need permission to go on any non-public land. It is still dry out there so you may have to go to the bigger bodies of water. I am heading up to SD next week to Pheasent hunt aroung the river so will see how it is there.
They are now allowing landowners to post property online. In the past, any land that was not posted was open to hunt. I am working on a project now in Watford City. I have seen more mule deer including huge bucks, than in the past. One big boy nearly became my hood ornament this morning..

Latest posts