North Dakota Freelance

Tanner99

Me and some friends are last minute planning a trip to North Dakota to duck hunt October 21-28. Of those who have been, what tips/advice do you have for someone going for the first time? I'm aware of all the posted laws which includes electronic posting as well. I'm also aware that much of the trip will be spent driving and scouting. But any other advice would be great. What is the best time of day to scout? Did y'all have better luck in potholes or fields?

Redfox

If you rent a truck make sure you get the best insurance you can……
Always be prepared for the troopers to close all the highways and spend a couple days at a truck stop.
Buy all your tobacco products before you go.

Tanner99

If you rent a truck make sure you get the best insurance you can……
Always be prepared for the troopers to close all the highways and spend a couple days at a truck stop.
Buy all your tobacco products before you go.
why would they close the roads down? Bad weather?

Bullfrog

On the insurance deal...be sure to check with your current insurance company. Your policy may have everything covered already.

Redfox

On the insurance deal...be sure to check with your current insurance company. Your policy may have everything covered already.
Yeah that's what they told this guy. They had a different opinion after a big rig smashed it in a blizzard 😂.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Me and some friends are last minute planning a trip to North Dakota to duck hunt October 21-28. Of those who have been, what tips/advice do you have for someone going for the first time? I'm aware of all the posted laws which includes electronic posting as well. I'm also aware that much of the trip will be spent driving and scouting. But any other advice would be great. What is the best time of day to scout? Did y'all have better luck in potholes or fields?
Me and a couple buddies used to go up and hunt back in the mid 90's to early 2000's. Completely and totally different hunting than what I was used to in the "south" of Southern Indiana. The insane numbers of birds and the ability to actually work and have them decoy into the spread regularly was foreign to us public land hunters. Killing a limit wasn't an every hunt thing, but it was a regular thing, and never did we not have tons of action. Back then it was easy to get permission, but towards the end it was getting more difficult as outfitters were sewing up lots of land. The last 2-3 years we ended up in Canada to avoid that, and the hunting there was even better.
We only dry field hunted, both ducks and geese. Ducks came in first light through the next 30 minutes to an hour before the geese would show up. Occasionally we hunted an afternoon field for just ducks. I guess there's still opportunities for freelancers in ND, but it's been so long I just don't know. I would suggest you be open to tying in with another group of hunters doing the same thing in the same area, as that would increase the likelihood of getting permission, and there will be more than enough birds to go around for 4-5 hunters as 8-10.
I will say this, I only ever waterfowl hunted a couple times again in Indiana after going up there, and that was for dark geese on private land. I did all my hunting for waterfowl in a week in ND/Canada and was more than satisfied. Piss on hoping to kill a duck or two (or even get a shot or two) on public land. That's IF you even get to hunt. I remember well driving to the local WMA at 3am hoping to get drawn for a blind…yes, they had daily draws for blinds.

Tanner99

Me and a couple buddies used to go up and hunt back in the mid 90's to early 2000's. Completely and totally different hunting than what I was used to in the "south" of Southern Indiana. The insane numbers of birds and the ability to actually work and have them decoy into the spread regularly was foreign to us public land hunters. Killing a limit wasn't an every hunt thing, but it was a regular thing, and never did we not have tons of action. Back then it was easy to get permission, but towards the end it was getting more difficult as outfitters were sewing up lots of land. The last 2-3 years we ended up in Canada to avoid that, and the hunting there was even better.
We only dry field hunted, both ducks and geese. Ducks came in first light through the next 30 minutes to an hour before the geese would show up. Occasionally we hunted an afternoon field for just ducks. I guess there's still opportunities for freelancers in ND, but it's been so long I just don't know. I would suggest you be open to tying in with another group of hunters doing the same thing in the same area, as that would increase the likelihood of getting permission, and there will be more than enough birds to go around for 4-5 hunters as 8-10.
I will say this, I only ever waterfowl hunted a couple times again in Indiana after going up there, and that was for dark geese on private land. I did all my hunting for waterfowl in a week in ND/Canada and was more than satisfied. Piss on hoping to kill a duck or two (or even get a shot or two) on public land. That's IF you even get to hunt. I remember well driving to the local WMA at 3am hoping to get drawn for a blind…yes, they had daily draws for blinds.
Do you happen to remember what time of day y'all typically scouted? Would y'all burn a morning of hunting just to find feeds?

spoonie

Bring a dog! We left two perfectly fine pups at home thinking we would just be able to wade across the potholes……. Nastiest mud I ever stepped foot in, you would sink down to your waist. Missed a lot of good hunting because of it.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Do you happen to remember what time of day y'all typically scouted? Would y'all burn a morning of hunting just to find feeds?
Almost always we scouted in the afternoon/evening. On occasion we would hunt in the afternoon, but very rarely. I don't think we ever experienced not having a field already picked out to set up in in the morning. I will say that we were mostly after geese and not ducks. Ducks were so numerous and easy to decoy that we didn't have to target them. We did do one or two afternoon shoots with only field duck decoys that were epic. Kinda like sitting along the Mississippi River bow hunting in mid September and you can't keep the mosquitoes away. We could literally be standing in the spread shooting ducks. Those kind of hunts were certainly not an every day affair, and it did take a lot of work to find a field and get permission, then you had to pick the right spot in the field and set up correctly…all that stuff, to have a successful hunt.
Like I said, I pretty much completely quit hunting back at home because it was so frustrating to hope for a day or two a year that one could shoot a limit or have a real chance at a good day of hunting. Yes, there's a lot more to duck hunting than killing a limit, but for all the time and money it takes out of your life it just wasn't worth it to me.

MidTennFisher

As mentioned above, don't take any chances with that mud. Some of those potholes are bottomless pits with several feet of soft mud you'll sink into and not be able to get out of. Don't let 8 inches of water fool you, it's the bottom that can be dangerous.

I made a trip up there in the Spring of 2018 to hunt snow geese. We didn't use an outfitter as I despise everything about that stuff and we still had a lot of success. There are relatively cheap lodges in a lot of those small towns, some even have game freezers you can use and a cleaning shed. I'd tell you to go to the one we used but sadly it's gone out of business.

I'm not sure what ND's current trespass law is but back then you could hunt as long as the private land wasn't posted. The landowner could still tell you to leave but it wasn't considered breaking the law. Most of the unposted land was fine, those landowners wanted the snow geese killed anyway. The farmer drove right by us one morning, saw our pile of dead snows, nodded and drove on.

One last tip - completely avoid the Devil's Lake area. That's where the most outfitter presence is. They're writing big checks to hog up land so that you no longer can ask for permission to hunt, but you can pay the outfitter a few hundred bucks to hunt half a day. And then they expect you to tip them too. Screw that nonsense.

That issue gets worse every season so go up there and enjoy a truly DIY hunt while you still can.

Tanner99

As mentioned above, don't take any chances with that mud. Some of those potholes are bottomless pits with several feet of soft mud you'll sink into and not be able to get out of. Don't let 8 inches of water fool you, it's the bottom that can be dangerous.

I made a trip up there in the Spring of 2018 to hunt snow geese. We didn't use an outfitter as I despise everything about that stuff and we still had a lot of success. There are relatively cheap lodges in a lot of those small towns, some even have game freezers you can use and a cleaning shed. I'd tell you to go to the one we used but sadly it's gone out of business.

I'm not sure what ND's current trespass law is but back then you could hunt as long as the private land wasn't posted. The landowner could still tell you to leave but it wasn't considered breaking the law. Most of the unposted land was fine, those landowners wanted the snow geese killed anyway. The farmer drove right by us one morning, saw our pile of dead snows, nodded and drove on.

One last tip - completely avoid the Devil's Lake area. That's where the most outfitter presence is. They're writing big checks to hog up land so that you no longer can ask for permission to hunt, but you can pay the outfitter a few hundred bucks to hunt half a day. And then they expect you to tip them too. Screw that nonsense.

That issue gets worse every season so go up there and enjoy a truly DIY hunt while you still can.
Unfortunately right beside Devils lake is where we'll be. Since it was somewhat last minute when we planned the trip, that was the only area we could find lodging that would accommodate all of us plus the dogs. I've already warned my friends that we may have to drive a good ways away from our lodge before we find hunts or land that's not already leased up by outfitters.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Unfortunately right beside Devils lake is where we'll be. Since it was somewhat last minute when we planned the trip, that was the only area we could find lodging that would accommodate all of us plus the dogs. I've already warned my friends that we may have to drive a good ways away from our lodge before we find hunts or land that's not already leased up by outfitters.
Is there any way to get a refund for the lodging? Go west to Minot then north to Mohall. That's where our base of operations was since that's where my mom grew up on the farm.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I don't want to discourage you with my previous post. I still think your time spent hunting in the Devils Lake area will likely be far better than a year in Tennessee. There's a learning curve to getting on birds regularly. We had locals that are old family friends going back to the homesteading days who showed us around, and they knew the area and who owned what properties, which made it much easier for us.
I highly recommend you go up and give it a go. It's nice up there, much different than around here. I also highly recommend making it a yearly trip if you're able to. Get to know a local or two that you can depend for help if at all possible. When we started to go up into Canada the last couple years that worked out for us tremendously. One of the first guys we met turned out to be the equivalent of a county commissioner. We ate dinner on the spot at his house when we asked to hunt some geese on his property, and he gave us a crap ton of advice and information. Be friendly and respectful, because they have seen a lot of the other side of hunters…especially those with Minnesota and Wisconsin tags! Don't ever rent a car in Minnesota and drive into North Dakota and expect to get hunting permission.

Tanner99

I don't want to discourage you with my previous post. I still think your time spent hunting in the Devils Lake area will likely be far better than a year in Tennessee. There's a learning curve to getting on birds regularly. We had locals that are old family friends going back to the homesteading days who showed us around, and they knew the area and who owned what properties, which made it much easier for us.
I highly recommend you go up and give it a go. It's nice up there, much different than around here. I also highly recommend making it a yearly trip if you're able to. Get to know a local or two that you can depend for help if at all possible. When we started to go up into Canada the last couple years that worked out for us tremendously. One of the first guys we met turned out to be the equivalent of a county commissioner. We ate dinner on the spot at his house when we asked to hunt some geese on his property, and he gave us a crap ton of advice and information. Be friendly and respectful, because they have seen a lot of the other side of hunters…especially those with Minnesota and Wisconsin tags! Don't ever rent a car in Minnesota and drive into North Dakota and expect to get hunting permission.
What point in the season do y'all typically go up there? We are going the last week of October so I hope we get lucky and get some good migration. I really want to hunt fields because that's not something we typically can do down here but I'm not opposed to shooting them in the potholes either

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
What point in the season do y'all typically go up there? We are going the last week of October so I hope we get lucky and get some good migration. I really want to hunt fields because that's not something we typically can do down here but I'm not opposed to shooting them in the potholes either
We used to go in that time frame as well. We've been up there when temps never got above 20* and had plenty of birds to hunt, and times when it never got below 20* and had plenty of birds to hunt. In my experience fields were way way way better than potholes. Careful driving the prairie roads if not frozen though.

MidTennFisher

That's the absolute truth about MN tags. ND and SD residents absolutely hate MN waterfowl hunters.

And since we lived in MN from 2016-2019, I can certainly understand why. They are the worst group of people I've ever encountered on public lands, with the exception of Southeastern turkey hunters.

Latest posts