North Cherokee Hunt

Weegee

I took off a week from work in hopes of chasing sika deer in Maryland. That fell through, so I decided to hunt the Smokey's. I've never hunted bear before, but they are high on my list. My dad, who has had the fire rekindled the last couple years has decided to join me. We just got to our cabin in Cocke County tonight, and tomorrow begins the scouting from the road. Hoping to burn some serious boot leather looking for old smokey in the North Cherokee. And if we come across a wild hog, that'd be great too. We have realistic expectations as far as our chances (slim to none), but looking to have a good time regardless. Will update in a couple days.

Weegee

Well, we found some scat today. Of course, the mountains are full of trucks with bear hounds in the back. Not a single bit of deer sign so far. Only put in a modest 7 miles, but I'm trying not to kill my dad with hiking.

Weegee

Only did 5 miles today. Saw a nice scrape with a single deer print in the middle of it. Later was shocked to see the buck that probably made it. I've still got a buck tag, and probably would have shot him if I had a chance. Gonna go out at first light and sit for a few hours in a place where we've seen some bear sign. Found out today that the group of hound hunters we keep running into all eat breakfast at this hole in the wall gas station diner. Might go join them one morning.

Weegee

Be careful. When bear are open deer are closed in the Cherokee.
Wow, first I'm hearing of that. Do you mind linking me to where you found that info? I only ask because I emailed two TWRA employees and the forester over the area I'm in, and none of them indicated that I can't hunt deer during bear season.

Rancocas

Okay. I hunt the South Cherokee and it is as I stated; bear on - deer no. Deer on - bear no.
However, I see that things may be different in the North Cherokee.

Carefully check the regulations. Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide; Region III for the South Cherokee on page 68. Region IV for the North Cherokee on page 76

Weegee

Okay. I hunt the South Cherokee and it is as I stated; bear on - deer no. Deer on - bear no.
However, I see that things may be different in the North Cherokee.

Carefully check the regulations. Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide; Region III for the South Cherokee on page 68. Region IV for the North Cherokee on page 76
I gotcha. I researched it pretty thoroughly before coming out here, so North Cherokee must be different. It's a moot point now, as I am done hunting for the trip.

Latest posts