Non rifled barrel slugs

DRSJ35

I was wondering what kind of accuracy and distance you can get with A 12 gauge smooth bore.The gun is a winchester SXP. What kind of slugs is best.I'm gonna be hunting Oak Ridge for the first time.So i could use some advice.Some of you who has hunted Oak Ridge in the past.Would it be worth it to buy a riffled slug barrel.Thanks Y'all

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
My advice is to buy a rifled barrel. If that is not in the cards, Federal TruBall or Breneiki slugs. Anything past 50 yards will be inconsistent at best.

Rakkin6

Not an expert on rifled slugs but i have been hunting Fort Campbell for about 15 years which is slug/muzzleloader/bow only. I have a rifled barrel shotgun and I would say if you can afford it get one. I have taken deer from 10 yards to 147 yards (range finder) this is my max comfortable distance. The key to a slug gun is finding the ammo that it likes. If you have any questions you can PM e

000guitar

I killed my first deer with an h&r pardner youth single shot 20 gauge. I had a custom made rifled choke from colonial arms.

Grill-n-man

Like what was said, most smooth bores shooting slugs is 50 - 60 yards max on accuracy. There are some exceptions but it's rare. With a rifled barrel clover leaf groups at 100yds is very very possible. If more shotgun hunts are in your future I would get a rifled barrel or a slug gun. I prefer a 20 over the 12. A 20 is lighter and doesn't stomp you as bad. Look at either the Mossberg 500s or Savage.

mike243

Muzzle loaders if you dont want to spend $ on a barrel.I will take a 250y muzzy load r over a shotgun most any day, hate to be limited on range or accuracy good luck

DRSJ35

thanks i might buy a barrel.Or possibly a slug gun.dates are 11/10 11/11 3er only 1 buck. I also got permit for 12/8 12/9 only 3 doe's hopefully i can make them both.If not m sure you know which one cant be missed.

iowavf

I use to shoot Brenneke 3" mags in my Mossberg 500 smooth barrel. Used a red dot scope and was very accurate out to 125 yard.

Latest posts